Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

5.3 LM7 upgrades and suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 LM7 upgrades and suggestions?

Hey guys, new to the forum. I have a 2006 Z71 Silverado Classic its a ccsb. I have the LM7. I bought it stock back in November and have since put a Volant throttle body spacer, Volant cool air intake, TSP long tube headers, flowmaster highflow cats, flowmaster super 44s, all 2.5" pipe to 4" tips with an X pipe. I also have a corvette servo and a custom tune. I have a circle d 3000 stall waitin to be put it when i order my cam within the next couple days. I plan on ordering the comp 220/220 112 lsa, thats what TSP recommended with the mods i have. Sound good to yall? I'm also wondering what i should do next? I obviously would like to upgrade my heads and intake. Should i just PnP my stock heads? Or maybe get some 243/799? I was thinking a LS6 intake, what about yall? Another thing is i have a leveling kit and i'm running 20x12s on 305/50 toyo AT2s.. i only have 3.42 gears and i'm lookin to upgrade to 4.11s. How critical is that mod compared to the heads or the intake. I know since i'm running such a heavy rim and tire setup, lower gears is pretty important, especially if i'm looking for any kind of jump out of a dig. I know all 3 of those mods are around the $800-$1,200 range. What would you guys recommend first after i install the stall and cam and retune?
Old 09-18-2014, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

here she is [IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-19-2014, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you mite already have 243/799 heads. i would loose the spacer. i got 4.10s with my set up.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

I would go 4.10s or 4.30s first
Old 09-19-2014, 11:46 AM
Avery@texas-speed.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never fear the gear... I run 430s and honestly wish I went with 456s. I have similar mods and my rig is a lot of fun on the street. Its my little crew cab burn out machine hah.

I would check your heads because you may have the 799/243 already! I want to update heads and lifters but I've maxed out my injectors already, and I've exceeded the power limit of this 60e. Its on its last leg, luckily I have a trans almost ready to go in.

Imo I would gear it before you go for heads and intake! You will feel gearsin the seat of the pants department. Heads and intake might add 30ish whp. You will notice that too, but gears will give you that high rpm set you back in the seat feel.

All in all, I am happy with my build for a street rig. I still get decent mpg ( 14 on average ) and it will really roll out when you want it too. If I can give you any advice, start saving for a trans, cause once you stall it, and put a bumpstick in it you will be on borrowed time. It will grenade itself. Its just a matter of when!

Good luck man! You have a sweet looking rig! Makes me miss my lift and 33s
Old 09-19-2014, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks man, this is my first truck so i'm really having fun with it. Ive done all the work myself. The color matching, de badging and de molding, all the bolt ons.. its been real fun.. and yeah i think you're right gears will be first, i know they're pretty important especially with a heavy rim and tire setup.. i'm shooting myself in the foot with these 3.42s..

I have the money for a built trans, i'm just going to wait till my stock ones goes.. we have one of the best 60e builders on the east coast here in Kinston, NC.. so when mine goes out i'm taking it out and taking it to him and getting him to re build it with a stage 2.. I wish i could do the gears now, but i have a lot of other priorities to take care of... bought some land a while back and trying to get a house on it... between surveying and removing stumps and cleaning up, i've really had to boot out some cash lately lol
Old 09-19-2014, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by craigsix
you mite already have 243/799 heads. i would loose the spacer. i got 4.10s with my set up.
why lose the tb spacer? am i losing performance with it?
Old 09-19-2014, 01:00 PM
Avery@texas-speed.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chadjcompton
Thanks man, this is my first truck so i'm really having fun with it. Ive done all the work myself. The color matching, de badging and de molding, all the bolt ons.. its been real fun.. and yeah i think you're right gears will be first, i know they're pretty important especially with a heavy rim and tire setup.. i'm shooting myself in the foot with these 3.42s..

I have the money for a built trans, i'm just going to wait till my stock ones goes.. we have one of the best 60e builders on the east coast here in Kinston, NC.. so when mine goes out i'm taking it out and taking it to him and getting him to re build it with a stage 2.. I wish i could do the gears now, but i have a lot of other priorities to take care of... bought some land a while back and trying to get a house on it... between surveying and removing stumps and cleaning up, i've really had to boot out some cash lately lol
Also don't forget when you stall it, to replace your stock cooler with an aftermarket unit. I run the tru cool 40k ( its quite popular here, because it is a BA cooler ) and it runs nice and cool when the ambient temps get around 3 digits.

To prolong the life of your 60e clutches you could install a hd2 shift kit. The shift kit will speed up your shift and allows the clutches to take less beating from gm's slow shifts. You can make a little pressure adjustment with a tune, but its wont shift like a hd2 will.

At one point in my trucks life I had stock 3.23 gears and ran a 305/50/20 nitto at on SSS wheels and it was horrible! Then installed 305/55/20 nitto trail grapplers and it was so bad the truck wouldn't know how to do at highway speeds. I went with a 4.30 and it fixed that problem! Now I run around on a stock size tire and literally do rolling burn outs. Gears were the best mod I ever made, 2nd was the stall, then the cam!
Old 09-19-2014, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Slow05CC
Also don't forget when you stall it, to replace your stock cooler with an aftermarket unit. I run the tru cool 40k ( its quite popular here, because it is a BA cooler ) and it runs nice and cool when the ambient temps get around 3 digits.

To prolong the life of your 60e clutches you could install a hd2 shift kit. The shift kit will speed up your shift and allows the clutches to take less beating from gm's slow shifts. You can make a little pressure adjustment with a tune, but its wont shift like a hd2 will.

At one point in my trucks life I had stock 3.23 gears and ran a 305/50/20 nitto at on SSS wheels and it was horrible! Then installed 305/55/20 nitto trail grapplers and it was so bad the truck wouldn't know how to do at highway speeds. I went with a 4.30 and it fixed that problem! Now I run around on a stock size tire and literally do rolling burn outs. Gears were the best mod I ever made, 2nd was the stall, then the cam!
Maaaaaaaaaan you're making want to do gears first! I know I need to, maybe I won't wait so long to do them... especially if I'm so unsatisfied with it after the stall and cam
Old 09-20-2014, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Proper gears should be done as soon as tire size is changed. Gears will make your truck a totally different animal and take stress off your trans. Do them first.

Quick Reply: 5.3 LM7 upgrades and suggestions?