Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 engine

So far I have put in a remanufactured gm lm7 with a 212/218 with long tubes and got a tune and k&n air filter. What else can I do to gain another 20 to 30 HP?
Old 11-21-2016, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Swap to a NNBS/TBSS intake for a minor improvement in horsepower, they flow better than a NBS intake.

It'll need tuning again after that. Upgrade the cam to something larger or start going with forced induction. I don't see you just picking up another 30hp without going larger on the cam.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Does turbos and superchargers hurt the life of the motor?and which one would you pick over the other for the life of the motor?
Old 11-21-2016, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

The way I see it is that there are 3 ways the engine could be damaged.

Incorrect parts were installed for the power wanted, like injectors, fuel pump, plugs, sensors and that sort of stuff. The next is a bad tune, that will damage it in a hurry if not correctly done. The next is going for too much power on a engine that can't handle it. A standard LM7 is something where I wouldn't want to push much past 500whp just because of the limits of the bottom end and 500hp is plenty of power to have fun with.

I guess a 4th would be just a freak failure that you couldn't have planned for. Otherwise adding boost shouldn't really hurt the life of the engine if the correct steps are taking for the power you are wishing to make.

Supercharger or turbo is a preference thing really or what you wish to use the truck for. If you tow a lot, then a blower could be the better option. If you like the torque of the blower, that's another reason to go with it. Turbo is the cool factor and the sweet sound.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Okay thanks again! Which one would be the easiest to install?
Old 11-21-2016, 09:23 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

The intake won't net you any gains. Either get the heads re-worked or change the cam.

There is thread on here were a guy actually made less power after swapping to that intake on an LM7 with a cam.

The LM7 heads have a small 1.89 intake valve and the least amount of flow as a result.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:33 AM
Teching In

Sry for not mentioning it was a 2001 4wd drive! I was really wanting to go back in the motor to put head on which I guess would be to hard though just pull the heads and replace gaskets and head bolts?
Old 11-22-2016, 07:45 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
The way I see it is that there are 3 ways the engine could be damaged.

Incorrect parts were installed for the power wanted, like injectors, fuel pump, plugs, sensors and that sort of stuff. The next is a bad tune, that will damage it in a hurry if not correctly done. The next is going for too much power on a engine that can't handle it. A standard LM7 is something where I wouldn't want to push much past 500whp just because of the limits of the bottom end and 500hp is plenty of power to have fun with.

I guess a 4th would be just a freak failure that you couldn't have planned for. Otherwise adding boost shouldn't really hurt the life of the engine if the correct steps are taking for the power you are wishing to make.

Supercharger or turbo is a preference thing really or what you wish to use the truck for. If you tow a lot, then a blower could be the better option. If you like the torque of the blower, that's another reason to go with it. Turbo is the cool factor and the sweet sound.

I second this and especially this portion of your post FFDP lol, "If you tow a lot, then a blower could be the better option. If you like the torque of the blower, that's another reason to go with it. Turbo is the cool factor and the sweet sound."
Old 11-22-2016, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Which turbo or supercharger would be easiest to do?
Old 11-22-2016, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kodiak2314
Which turbo or supercharger would be easiest to do?
Supercharger