Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

5.3 crankshaft end play remedy

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Any reason to go to CA?

Or Check ebay and craigslist.

LKQ Corporation bought out Pick Your Part and Pick-A-Part.

There are a few yards out here were the engines were already pulled and laying on the ground. The Yard Monkey's that frequent these yards rape pillage and plunder all the good stuff from these trucks the minute they drop. They do the dumbest stuff like Pull an engine to get to a trans and dump it on the ground and break things like the intake manifold, coils packs and valve covers. They also cut the wiring harness to remove parts instead of unplugging it. It's not uncommon to find a seat missing the bottom cushion or the motors instead of taking the whole seat. They also rip the door panels off to get a set of speakers or a window regulator.
haha at this point I could use a nice long ride to the beach... Not sure I wanna lug a crank back in a backpack tho hah.

I am familiar with the half assed bullshit yards do. I guess in theory for what Im after it shouldnt have an effect on the crank.
CL is tapped out as far as down here. I will start looking on Phx CL and see if I can find something.

Good to know LKQ is still dirt bags. Those bastards are the worst about cutting ****, granted it isnt half bad to have a warranted used trans going back in a car that already has the harness, but doesnt help other wise.

I appreciate all the help, sir, not the first time you have offered great insight.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:56 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Silv4.8
haha at this point I could use a nice long ride to the beach... Not sure I wanna lug a crank back in a backpack tho hah.

I am familiar with the half assed bullshit yards do. I guess in theory for what Im after it shouldnt have an effect on the crank.
CL is tapped out as far as down here. I will start looking on Phx CL and see if I can find something.

Good to know LKQ is still dirt bags. Those bastards are the worst about cutting ****, granted it isnt half bad to have a warranted used trans going back in a car that already has the harness, but doesnt help other wise.

I appreciate all the help, sir, not the first time you have offered great insight.
Its not the Yard employees, although they damage plenty of good sheetmetal buy running the forklifts into them...

It's all the Illegal, Low income, Uneducated ****'s that frequent the yards.

My understanding is they buy for other Individuals/Parts buyers or they collect stuff and take it back to Mexico to sale.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:47 PM
TECH Junkie

interesting, I had never heard of that.. And Ive even seen plenty of the fully loaded **** boxes running from phx south on the 10. Haha, just a disaster waiting to happen.

Hey if you happen to come across a crank out there let me know. Got some calls to make on monday and try to source one here but its looking slim
Old 12-13-2014, 06:24 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

They're a Dime a dozen. You just have to be patient. They even use the same crank in the 6.2 with a 58X reluctor wheel.

The 5.3 was made like 2 to 1 to every other engine.

I see people trying to get $200-$300 for a used crank. That's nuts!!!! They used the same crank in the 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, 6.2

Only difference is the Weight balancing for each application and the 5.7L LS1/LS6 will be gun drilled through the mains.

It's the most common crank out there. If some pays more than $100 for a clean Used crank I feel they must be mentally challenged.

At 1 point, people were throwing this stuff in the scrap bin because it was believed that you absolutely needed a Forged crank and rods with FI or nitrous.
The following users liked this post:
HomerSimpson (01-09-2022)
Old 12-17-2014, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

So as it stands right now I've got a couple options. Personally I want to keep my same crank just to avoid hassle. Local machine shop that does tons of newer sheriff vehicles (LS base) claims I can either do oversized thrust bearing (full main set around 100-150$) and have no troubles after the fact. Also for about 250$ I could have then weld it and grind it down to factory spec. At this point I'm temted to do oversized mains and let it ride. Any educated opinions on adverse effects on either option?
I really want this truck driving again around 1st of the year.
Also as cheap as 400 converters are I'm planning on upgrading to a mild stall to hopefully avoid any further issues and keep this thing rolling for a couple years or until it gets an 80e.

Also the only cranks I can turn up (clean usable shape) are about 250$ through fleabay.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:00 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

As far as the work It's your call. If the crank is soft, It could chew up more bearings. Same if the welding process isn't done right.

My self, I have run welded up cranks with no issues. But I also trust the people I go to and if they have any reserve, It usually gets scrapped unless the core is nearly impossible to find or really expensive. For me, knowing I could get another crank for $100 or possibly less, It's a no brainer.

Sorry your options aren't better at the moment. I haven't been JY shopping.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:36 AM
TECH Junkie

That's alright I appreciate the input. All I was looking for was real world input. I really rather put 200+ beans in to getting a bed or materials for my painter guy, hell or steel for the suspension but the **** needs to run first.

Any adverse idea about just doing oversized bearings other than the crank being soft like you said? And how can you tell if that area of the crank is just soft for some reason?
Old 12-18-2014, 09:42 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Yeah cranks are cheap I had a 2010 5.3 crank last year that i couldnt give away i hated to throw it away
Old 12-18-2014, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 726.0chevelle
Yeah cranks are cheap I had a 2010 5.3 crank last year that i couldnt give away i hated to throw it away
THREW it away?!
Old 12-20-2014, 12:09 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

At 1 time I had a spare crank from someone who was going to throw 1 away...

Quick Reply: 5.3 crankshaft end play remedy