Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

5.3 - 6.0 conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 - 6.0 conversion questions

Hello everyone, this is my first time being on this site, and first time being on a fourm. Im haveing trouble finding the the answers to my questions.

The 5.3 i have in the truck now is on its last leg, and instead of fixing it or replaceing it with another 5.3 i figured its a great time to upgrade to the 6.0.

The question i have is: Will the 6.0's Electrical / Fuel / Hoses etc, all match up with the 5.3's, or am i going to have to redo everything in the engine bay?

Also will i need a new computer for the 6.0, or will the 5.3's work ?

Will my Stock tranny and rear hold up?

Thank you for your time and help!
Old 07-05-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything will swap over to the 6.0. The stock pcm will work, but a custom tune will make a huge difference in power. The stock tranny will need to be beefed up to last. The rear will be fine unless you get power hungry and start making a ton of power with a power adder.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im about to start my 5.3 to lq9 swap as well. quick question, when I swap my intake manifold over from my 5.3 are the intake manifold gaskets reusable or should I buy new ones?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:08 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CountryBoy04Silverado, be sure to get an aluminum head 01+ 6.0 or it will not mate up to your 60E as the 99-00 6.0's with the iron heads have a longer crankshaft.

Brandon, I wouldn't take a chance on re-using the intake gaskets, that's just asking for a vacuum leak IMO. I'm sure that guys have done it without problems, but not a chance I would take, just my .02...
Old 07-06-2010, 07:38 AM
TECH Junkie

The only gaskets that are not reusable are the head gaskets. My intake gaskets have been on 5 different engines and taken on and off another 7-8 times. They will be fine.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:59 PM

Quicksilverado - What will a tune do exactly, does it just change all my fuel to air mixture? And would i have to fine a specific performance shop to do it so that its reliable, or if i go to a small town shop are they capable of doing it? Complex?
Old 07-06-2010, 10:01 PM
formerly ByuTrukFreak

The tune will change a lot of different things, there are a lot of tables to change when tuning a PCM. You'll need to find a tuner. some are done on a dyno some are mail order. Intake gaskets can't cost that much money if you doing a head swap or an intake swap, why take that chance.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ByuTrukFreak
The tune will change a lot of different things, there are a lot of tables to change when tuning a PCM. You'll need to find a tuner. some are done on a dyno some are mail order. Intake gaskets can't cost that much money if you doing a head swap or an intake swap, why take that chance.
The intake gaskets are designed to be reused.

The stock pcm is tuned for the smaller engine. A custom tune will compensate for the larger cubed motor and net you more power. It is not necessary, but would make a big difference. Anywhere from 25 to maybe 50 extra horses.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:51 AM

Another question, you said that my tranny willl hold up to the 6.0's power if i dont hop the engine up. how about the transfercase? and also that little spacer between the tranny and the transfercase? my buddy with a stock 5.3 has tourqued it and snapped it 3 times now, do they make a stronger one? something other then castiron ****. Thanks for the help everyuone.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:39 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Id say a tune IS necessary. Yes the 6.0 will run with the 5.3 tune, but it isnt going to be safe, or efficient. The PCM has calibrations based on sensors, etc for a specific size engine. Going from a 5.3 to a 6.0 you have a larger volume and the PCM will not know this possibly winding up with a lean condition.

As far as gaskets, I re-use everything except the head gaskets.

Some transmissions will last, some wont. most is going to depend on how you drive.

Everything else will work fine

Quick Reply: 5.3 - 6.0 conversion questions