Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Ordering a cam

Old 01-25-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering a cam

I'm going to order the Thunder Racing 224/227 114 this week. I'll be ordering heads and the meth kit soon.... not sure which WCCH or Patriot, Snow, Alky Control, Cooling Mist???.

When I order the cam do I need/want to order anything else? Are the stock pushrods going to be good enough or do I need/want a thicker size? LIfters are ok I think. Will they try to sell me anything else? I won't need installing tools I don't think because the install will be done when I do the heads.

Any opinoins on the heads? WCCH or Patriot's?? It looks like Patriots are the better buy but what do I know? Or maybe I just jump right to the Darts. How much work do they require to make them flow nice and smooth?
Old 01-25-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

along with that cam I would get some TR hardened pushrods while you are at it for insurance... I didnt do this but my next cam swap I will sure put some hardened pushrods in and you will need some comp cam 918 springs too... if you dont have them yet...
Old 01-25-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

you will probably need longer pushrods with that cam for the extra lift. The after market cams typically have a smaller base circle so they can make the lobe larger and it still fit in the block, if that makes sense. Stock pushrod lenght is 7.350 and most cams use 7.400. I'd ask thunder what they recommend.
Nice choice of cam btw
It is hard to beat the new Darts. They flow well right out of the box. A little clean up would improve them some just by smoothing the casting. Either them or patriots would be my choice.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:21 PM
Launching!

when you go to the Thunder Racing web site, they have a option of everything that is reccomended for the cam you are getting.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Even with 224

I would need diff length rods even with the tr 224?
Old 01-25-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Veteran

either of those cams should use 7.40 length rods... with any aftermarket cam you are better of going with hardened rods... chromemoly ones if you can afford them(about 20bucks more)

but thunder should give you a package deal for everything you need.. email and ask them
Old 01-25-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

A friend suggested that this cam might want double springs.

It's a 224/227 .563 .569 114

Will it do ok with 918's or do I want to dbl spring it?

Guess I"d better ask TR.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:40 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JimS
A friend suggested that this cam might want double springs.

It's a 224/227 .563 .569 114

Will it do ok with 918's or do I want to dbl spring it?

Guess I"d better ask TR.
on the heads part, my recommendation is to Call both Richard from WCCH and Gunnar from Patriot, talk to them about your setup, and choose from there.
From my personal experience, Richard makes a fantastic product, offers "old school" customer service, and stands behind his product.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by moregrip
From my personal experience, Richard makes a fantastic product, offers "old school" customer service, and stands behind his product.
Richard will hook you up right.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I talked to Richard and Gunnard. Both appeared knowledgeable and both were very friendly and willing to talk and answers my questions.... and since I don't have much knowledge there were lots of questions.

The WCCH and Patriot prices are about the same but Patriot does not require a core. It appears that the WCCH heads flow a just a little bit more than the Patriots (both stage II heads), but the Patriot's are a little cheaper and they don't need a core.

Since my knowledge level is very low it sure helps to have friends out there that are willing to hlep. It makes a HUGH difference to be able to ask around before sending someone several thousand $$$. So thanks to you guys as well as Richard and Gunnard. I'll be calling Thunder Racing today. Anyone know who the contact person would be there?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ordering a cam