Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 CCSB 5.3 To 5.7 Engine Build Questions...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 CCSB 5.3 To 5.7 Engine Build Questions...?

Soo.. A while back I had a thread up about initial questions for my 2005 CCSB build. The original 5.3 is getting tired, so in the meantime I picked up another 5.3 to build and throw in the truck. Hopefully I'll be able to have it all done and begin putting it in the truck in the next month or so. I started off with getting a complete 5.3 from a yard. I dropped it off at the machine shop and had it cleaned up and sonic checked, and everything came back good. So I had it punched out to make it a 5.7, essentially an iron block LS1. I had it bored out to a set of Mahle forged 346 cid flat-top LS1 pistons, 3.898 bore. I'm pairing those to a set of Eagle H-beam rods, stock stroke crank, and had everything balanced. I'm putting all of this in with a 224/228 .600 .600 112 LSA cam, chromoly pushrods, and GMP lifters. On top will be a set of 862 CNC ported heads with bigger valves (2.02 intake, 1.575 exhaust) done by Texas Speed.
I'm now at a point in my build where I have a couple questions...? I have most all of the actual parts required. I mainly just still need to get my gaskets and a couple other odd and end parts. My biggest question is the head gaskets. Being I went from the stock 5.3 (3.78") bore size to the LS1 (3.898") bore size, I'm assuming I would want to go with a LS1 head gasket? That would make sense to me, but I just wanted to verify that the LS1 head gasket would work with my setup? Or if there was a different route guys doing similar setups went with. I know the 5.3 to 5.7 bore is somewhat of a common setup, so just wanted to get some input on that before I ordered them. I'm planning on going with a MLS gasket.
I've read that doing this setup sometimes leads to slightly higher engine temps. Would going to a lower thermostat be advised? It's going in a 2005 which has the e-fans.
Also, I've found the thread here that has all the different gaskets and numbers on them. But was wondering if you guys knew anywhere I could buy a gasket set with just the gaskets? I've searched and most the sets I find also have rings and everything else in them, more of a complete rebuild kit. I have all of the rings and everything, just looking for the gaskets in particular. If not, is just ordering them one at a time the way to go?
In addition, if anyone who reads this has already done a similar setup in their trucks, is there any advice you would give to someone doing this that you learned after doing yours? I plan on trying to finish putting the engine together in the next couple weeks, and any insight would be awesome!

Last edited by TwiZtedZ71; 07-25-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:15 AM
Avery@texas-speed.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am doing a very similar build. 5.3-5.7 except I have 243s, and a TBSS Intake!

Personally I am going with the LS1 MLS gasket ( the 3 layer ones that are about 40.00 for the pair )

I would run a 180* degree thermostat. The 160 either causes issues or doesnt! I have a buddy with the SLP 160 and has has nothing but problems!

Good luck with your build!