Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

08 Suburban LY6 Swap - not impressed

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 07:50 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

It sounds like we've been to the same shops.

I'm sorry you're going through this. It sucks to have to deal with such incompetence.
It amazes me the things these guys do and have such a good reputation to.
I wish I knew all of this tuning lingo about tables, trims, injector data and such.

I cant find one of these

It's probably going to take a good trouble shooter with a data loggerto see what is really going on.
I have been saying this for almost a year.

What is ******* happening here?!? Why can no one get you an answer?
I hope you get it worked out soon than later.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadaLY6
The problem isn't at tip in its at idle. I'm sorry maybe stumble isn't the right word to describe it. It's got an inconsistent idle. It will idle smooth, them progressively run rougher, then clear it self up for a second then start running rough again.

I don't know what the O2s are supposed to look like on the HP tuners program that he showed me on. Everything looks to only fluctuate mildly on the HP tuners screen with the green bar things, while the 02 readings where all over the place, right maxed then at the minimum within the same second. This was on this green displays that go up and down. (I apologize in advance for the uneducated description of the HP tuners screen).
Is it normal for the 02 sensors to read that wildly?

So far we have no vacum leakes, injectors were cleaned, sparkplugs replaced, coils haven't been replaced yet. Compression is 150psi on all cylinders with no variance!
The only thing he found was a ticking noise from the headers.

Are they logging for misfires? I would add each cylinder to the scanner and look for misfires as well as total misfires across the board. It may be that it's to sensitive and need tuning the misfires out.

(I assume plugs/wires are new?)
Old 11-07-2014, 12:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Crap I completely forgot about this have him copy the knock sensor data ALL of it from a 6.0 tune and all of the misfire stuff and paste it over the 5.3 and you will probably see the misfires disappear because they are probably false. The pcm is looking at 5.3 data with a 6.0 motor and it's out of the 5.3's normal range of operation and signaling a misfire both in the monitor and in the way it checks for misfire. Make sure to have them run a CKP relearn as the previous shop may not have. This lets the PCM learn the variances of the new motors CKP/CMP correlation.

As far as the rough idle I don't do tuning other than easy stuff I take all of mine to a shop to handle it BUT. Based off mechanical experience IF the motor idles normally with the fuel trims turned off that means the pcm is trying to correct for something it's not liking either rich or lean condition. This can point towards the tune needing some more work on the fuel side or MAF tuning
Old 11-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being they had a mix up of what injectors were installed, could they have possibly used 5.3 e85 fuel tables with 6.0 injectors to cause the trim issues? Not an expert with tuning but curious.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

any news on it?
Old 11-14-2014, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input guys.
I haven't had time to do anything else with the truck right now.
Ill order the headers next week and see if that does anything. I know its unlikely thats the culprit but I want them anyways so its not really money wasted if they don't fix anything.

I have noticed that since the retune the idle surges like crazy when I first start it up in the morning. If I tap the gas pedal it smooths out somewhat.

I tried ckeaning the MAF and it didn't help anything.
No engine codes.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:54 PM
Teching In

I still haven't had a chance I order a set of headers yet. BUT I did get an engine check engine light today!
It's a P1174 fuel trim balance, no other codes.
I'm hoping whatever is failing now is what was causing the driveability issue.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:44 PM
Teching In

I know this is bringing back the dead.. BUT I have an update that might be helpful for anyone that might have the same symptoms.

Looks like the previous tuner had set the timing at 0degrees, my current tuner didn't catch this until a few days ago. After realizing this he set the timing to 5 degrees and it definitely lopes a bit more now but has a steady less erratic idle.

I also had him install meth injection, an intercooler, T76 turbonetics turbo etc.. and now I love the truck again. lol
Old 04-14-2015, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know this is bringing back the dead.. BUT I have an update that might be helpful for anyone that might have the same symptoms.

Looks like the previous tuner had set the timing at 0degrees, my current tuner didn't catch this until a few days ago. After realizing this he set the timing to 5 degrees and it definitely lopes a bit more now but has a steady less erratic idle.

I also had him install meth injection, an intercooler, T76 turbonetics turbo etc.. and now I love the truck again. lol
well thats one way to wake it up.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Glad to hear.

Quick Reply: 08 Suburban LY6 Swap - not impressed