Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

08 Suburban LY6 Swap - not impressed

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 11:25 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Good luck man. Its always hard reading stories like this.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious to which shop this is. If you're in Ontario, and they specialize in high end Vette's I know EXACTLY who you're dealing with.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackcash
I'm curious to which shop this is. If you're in Ontario, and they specialize in high end Vette's I know EXACTLY who you're dealing with.
They are still working on it so I don't want to trash someone's livelihood if they are trying to make it right.
Ill post up a complete review of the shop once I get the truck back (hopefully fixed properly)
I picked the place because I checked the reviews and they seemed to have great reputation.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Went by the shop today to see what they found.
They are telling me its the lifters, not 100% sure but that's where they would start.

What are your thoughts?
Old 10-24-2014, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

im wondering when they put the cam in if they didnt line it up with the crank, maybe a tooth off?
Old 10-24-2014, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GM_Devil
im wondering when they put the cam in if they didnt line it up with the crank, maybe a tooth off?
I mentioned that but they said that they got the timing right.

They said its the lifters, I just find it odd that they would bleed out while the truck is running and then pump themselves back up. They say this is the cause for the idle running smooth then rough.
Is this possible, if its feasible ill pay to have it fixed. I've already spent $700 trying to solve this and I'm just worried that if I keep throwing parts at it with no results this things are going to get crazy pretty fast.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:43 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

This is not a DOD engine... what springs are you using? It wouldnt be the lifters without some serious noise to go along with it.

I find it VERY unlikely that its lifters.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

What year is the motor
Old 10-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
This is not a DOD engine... what springs are you using? It wouldnt be the lifters without some serious noise to go along with it.

I find it VERY unlikely that its lifters.
It got a little bit of noise but nothing crazy. I figured it was because it had comp dual springs. Thy tell me now that the noise is not normal and its probably lifters. I just doing know what to do, they want $1500 to swap the lifters and say it might not be the problem.

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
What year is the motor
The motor is a 2007 Out if a silverado. The truck is a 2008.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Look into this

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 09-06-01-006

Date: May 07, 2009

Subject: Check Engine Light On, Engine Misfire, Hard Start, Rough Idle, Hesitation, Loss of Power, Poor Performance, Noise, DTCs P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0307, P0308 Set (Replace Engine)
Models:
2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Tahoe
2007 GMC Sierra, Sierra Denali, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL
Equipped with 6.0L or 6.2L V8 Engine RPOs L76, L92, LY6
Please Refer to GMVIS

Condition

Some customers may comment on any of the following engine concerns:

- Check engine light on
- Misfire
- Hard start
- Rough Idle
- Hesitation
- Loss of power
- Poor performance
- Noise

Upon further investigation, technicians may find DTC P0300 (Engine Misfire Detected) set. DTCs P0301-P0308 corresponds to cylinders 1-8. If the ECM is able to determine that a specific cylinder is misfiring, the DTC for that cylinder will also set.

Cause

The above conditions may be caused by a broken intake valve stem at the key groove (keeper).

A small number of intake valves may have been exposed to an overtemp condition during the heat treat process.

Correction

Remove the valve rocker arm cover from the suspect cylinder head and inspect the intake valves. If a broken intake valve stem is found, replace the engine. DO NOT repair the engine.

A thorough diagnosis must be performed on the condition in order to prevent unnecessary engine replacement. Contact the Product Quality Center (PQC) to verify the proper diagnosis has been performed. Please reference this bulletin number when calling. Upon review of the diagnosis, the PQC will authorize an SPO Goodwrench replacement engine.
Caution
When replacing an engine due to internal damage, extreme care should be taken when transferring the intake manifold to the new Goodwrench service engine long block. Internal damage may result in the potential discharge of internal engine component debris in the intake manifold via bent, broken, or missing intake valves. After removing the intake manifold from the engine, the technician should carefully inspect all of the cylinder head intake ports to see if the valve heads are still present and not bent. Usually when the valve heads are missing or sufficiently bent, internal engine component debris will be present to varying degrees in the intake port of the cylinder head. If this debris is present in any of the cylinder head intake ports, the intake manifold should be replaced. This replacement is required due to the complex inlet runner and plenum configuration of most of the intake manifolds, making thorough and complete component cleaning difficult and nearly impossible to verify complete removal of debris. Re-installation of an intake manifold removed from an engine with deposits of internal engine component debris may result in the ingestion of any remaining debris into the new Goodwrench service engine. This may cause damage or potential failure of the new service engine.

Quick Reply: 08 Suburban LY6 Swap - not impressed