Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

08 Suburban LY6 Swap - not impressed

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 02:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Any new updates
Old 10-29-2014, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Any new updates
I Went to another shop on Tuesday and they took a look at the tune.
Part of the problem was apparently the original shop didn't touch the timing tables.
The truck definetly runs smoother now... Still not stock smooth but not embarrassing anymore. Just like a truck with a cam.. But even they said they are suprised suh a small cam would be noticeable. I really didn't want to lose the luxury car idle the truck originally had.

The stutter would still happen but not nearly as pronounced. They shutof te fuel trim and its all but gone.
They said something is still not right and what they is was only part of the problem. They told me to drive it for a week like that and see how I like it. It seems to run ok but I do want my fuel trims working.

They said they will need more time with it, he said it might be a bad Injector ground etc, thats causing the fuel trim to jump like that and cause the truck to shake at idle.
I still think it might be crappy injectors since it turns out the original shop never swapped injectors over like they said they did.

I'm dropping the truck off on Monday for them to take a closer look at what's causing the stutter. Ill let you guys know how it makes out.

Once it works out I can look into exhaust and or Forced induction mods.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:56 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Well it sounds like you are finally on the right track. Glad to hear it and I hope things get buttoned up soon without digging too deep into your pocket.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Took the truck in and they ran a few tests to see what was causing the trim to be all over the place.
The grounds looked solid and there are no vacum leaks.
Looks like the shop that did the engine swap never installed new exhaust manifold gaskets like they had charged me for.
They found the gaskets were never changed and there is a small leak at the manifolds.

They think the leak is causing the trim to cause the truck to stumble at idle.

So now the only logical thing to do to remedy this is out on longtubes (they had to retune anyway because the tune the other shop did was a joke). They have it running much better now and says they will finish the tune once I get some longtubes on it.

I'm thinking about the OBX longtubes with catted Y-pipe (need to be emissions freiendly). I would like to go ARH but since this wasn't planned and I want to get it sorted out this week it's not in the budget.
What do you guys think of the OBX longtubes? Is there any other catted option for the 07-13 trucks?
Old 11-03-2014, 11:39 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Obx are a great stainless long tube option

That said... Exhaust gaskets are a bunch of ******* bullshit that won't cause dick unless the leak is so bad that you can't hear yourself think. People reuse the stock gaskets all the time.

What is ******* happening here?!? Why can no one get you an answer?
Old 11-04-2014, 06:00 AM
Teching In

I thought it was a bit odd that a small leak would cause it the stumble at idle.
But he told me the the 02 sensors were reading all over the place that could be caused by a small exhaust leak.
The truck ran perfectly before the engine swap so I'm guessing that the 02 sensors aren't the problem.

At this point I'm out of shops to go to, and I did wanted to get longtubes anyways so I'm thinking if giving it a try. Just wish I had a more definitive answer.

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
Obx are a great stainless long tube option

That said... Exhaust gaskets are a bunch of ******* bullshit that won't cause dick unless the leak is so bad that you can't hear yourself think. People reuse the stock gaskets all the time.

What is ******* happening here?!? Why can no one get you an answer?
Old 11-04-2014, 10:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

A small exhaust leak wont cause a stumble on throttle tip in. That's all in the tune or other problems.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadaLY6
But he told me the the 02 sensors were reading all over the place
I would have stopped him right there and said exactly what is that supposed to mean. To me, saying something like that means he doesn't know wtf he's talking about.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:21 AM
Teching In

Ok thanks for the input guys. Ill probably still get the longtubes because I want them, but any ideas?
The truck drives like an absolute beast now after he tuned it. Power all across the range, no lugging like it was doing, the transmission tune is awesome. I've never driven an automatic that shifts that intuitively.
Since its getting tuned and he will finish the tube with the new headers at no extra charge I don't mind getting them anyways.
So im happy with everything he has done so far and its money well spent, all things the original shop that did this build failed on.

The only issue now is : When the trims are shut off it runs smooth. When the trims are on the truck stumbles and surges at idle.
Any ideas what I should do after if fixing the small leak dosnt do anything?
Old 11-05-2014, 07:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
A small exhaust leak wont cause a stumble on throttle tip in. That's all in the tune or other problems.
The problem isn't at tip in its at idle. I'm sorry maybe stumble isn't the right word to describe it. It's got an inconsistent idle. It will idle smooth, them progressively run rougher, then clear it self up for a second then start running rough again.

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
I would have stopped him right there and said exactly what is that supposed to mean. To me, saying something like that means he doesn't know wtf he's talking about.
I don't know what the O2s are supposed to look like on the HP tuners program that he showed me on. Everything looks to only fluctuate mildly on the HP tuners screen with the green bar things, while the 02 readings where all over the place, right maxed then at the minimum within the same second. This was on this green displays that go up and down. (I apologize in advance for the uneducated description of the HP tuners screen).
Is it normal for the 02 sensors to read that wildly?

So far we have no vacum leakes, injectors were cleaned, sparkplugs replaced, coils haven't been replaced yet. Compression is 150psi on all cylinders with no variance!
The only thing he found was a ticking noise from the headers.

Quick Reply: 08 Suburban LY6 Swap - not impressed