Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Denali AFM??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Denali AFM??

I have an 07 nnbs Denali with the 6.2 and awd that the lifters are making noise. Truck has 122k miles so it's not that surprising. I've read several places that although the 07s didn't have AFM, they still had all the hardware, just not the software to run it. Is this true? If it is, I'll just do the DOD delete and cam it while I'm in there fixing lifters. I figured I'd ask here before I went ahead and ordered the kit so I don't end up with a bunch of stuff I don't need.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have one 07 GMC Denali PU 6.2 file on my laptop and it has AFM/DOD disabled in the calibration. I know most 6.2 Escalades are like that. Built with **** AFM/DOD parts and disabled in the calibration. I have six of those files all with AFM/DOD disabled in the stock tune. I first discovered this when a shop called me to turn it off in the tune on an Escalede they were changing bad AFM/DOD lifters on for the second time. When I read the file I saw it was already disabled. Then I looked at every other Escalade file I had and saw it was disabled on all of their stock calibrations. I say most Escalades because when I asked my GM Parts man to look it up he said 07 Escalades showed a 1st design with AFM/DOD and a 2nd design without.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

From what I've read aswell, the 2007-2009 yukon/escaldes were built with the parts but disabled in the calibration. 2010 MY is when they started to actually use the system in the SUV's.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:46 PM
Teching In

So I do need to get a full DOD/AFM delete kit and just take care of it. What about VVT? What would I gain by getting rid of that, or does the dod/AFM delete kit take care of that too?
Old 04-18-2016, 06:45 PM
Teching In

No, you will still need an LS3 timing cover, 4 pole 3 bolt cam gear, timing chain dampner, cam bolts, and timing cover and water pump gaskets. As far as getting rid of the VVT, it does keep you in the max efficiency and power range but because of the large amount of valve timing movement, it limits you to smaller cam profiles with not much overlap. There are phase limiters available that restrict the amount of advance that happens which allows you to run more aggressive cam profiles. This allows you to keep the low rpm performance that the VVT gives you and still have good upper rpm power from the larger cam.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Are most guys that delete the VVT happy or do they wish they'd have kept it? Or is it not that big a deal? I'm new to gas so...
Old 04-19-2016, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

What the ****, are you telling me my 07 Denali 6.2 has the weird dod lifters?? Not liking that.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Heres a bit of info to ponder.... I have seen rollers on dod and non dod lifters chewed up in gen iv engines.... Have also seen a few non dod lifters spun in the trays!!! Actually just finished a truck today that had a stuck lifter on #4 and the roller on #2 exhaust valve looked like a grinder got a hold of it..... So even if it doesnt have the afm hardware, the lifters are still suspect!!!
Old 04-20-2016, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Heres a bit of info to ponder.... I have seen rollers on dod and non dod lifters chewed up in gen iv engines.... Have also seen a few non dod lifters spun in the trays!!! Actually just finished a truck today that had a stuck lifter on #4 and the roller on #2 exhaust valve looked like a grinder got a hold of it..... So even if it doesnt have the afm hardware, the lifters are still suspect!!!
Jesus, I traded my 99 in with 295,xxx miles...Maybe I should have stuck with it, it only let me down once. (fuel pump)
Old 04-20-2016, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

My 99 i had the new engine built for for about a year before the engine went.... Piston slap started at 40 degrees rather than below freezing knew it wasnt long, lost oil pump on a 6hour road trip with all my kids in the truck.... Made it 20 minutes from home #1 and #2 rods let loose, drove it onto the wrecker, off the wrecker onto my buddy's trailer, back off the trailer around his yard, then a month and a half or two months later went to start pulling the engine, fired it up with the remote start and drove it into his garage... Sadly probably could have made it home... Doubt a gen 4 would even come close!!

Last edited by Wolftrk99; 04-20-2016 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: 07 Denali AFM??