Click here to visit LS1Tech
Click here to visit Performance Trucks
Click here to visit Mod Motor Tech
Click here to visit Modern Hemi

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums  

Go Back   PerformanceTrucks.net Forums > GENERAL MOTORS SPECIFIC FORUMS > GM Engine & Exhaust Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Performance Trucks!
Welcome to Performance Trucks,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-17-2008, 04:37 PM   #1
Trader Rating: 4
Launching!

Default 02 Vortec LQ4 6.0 Upgrades?

Hi all, I have a 02 Vortec 6.0 in my gmc sierra 2500 4x4 ext. cab pickup. Everything is stock and i get roughly 13 mpg around town. I'm seeking better mileage and performance with the most bang for the buck. I have been considering a volant cold air box, maybe longtubes, changing the heads to Z06 343's to raise compression and also either changing to a torque producing cam or crane 1.85 rockers. What do you think might be best based on whats proven to work? Thanks in advance. Dave
Old 03-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
Trader Rating: 33
Formerly Low_LQ4 - 6/6/10

Send a message via MSN to Low_LSX Send a message via Yahoo to Low_LSX

All of your answers are here:
http://performancetrucks.net/forums/...d.php?t=395748
Action Speed & Machine LSX 376 - ARP - Meziere WP - DBRODS Custom Fuel Cell - PatrickG Custom Cam - Nasty Coil Relocation Bracket - Ron Davis Radiator - ARH 1-7/8 - 3' X Pipe with Dual Magnaflow Mufflers - FLT 85E LV7 - B2 Circle D Converter - L92 Vic Jr - Intake Elbow - 90MM UMI - QA1 Adjustable - LS Water Vapor System Kurt Urban Performance - 4/6 DJM - CalTracs - Boyd Starburst.
Low_LSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
Launching!

Thanks i've read that before and its quite generic. I'm asking for those that have swapped heads and or cams or rockers to chime in on their gains. I've done virtually everything possible to my vette including supercharging however this truck needs torque and mpg as its a daily work truck. Thanks again for responding. Dave
Old 03-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
Trader Rating: 0
Teching In

i have a 00 LQ4 6.0 and i have been only getting 14 MPG out of it, i have shorty headers, the open element KN and hypertech on it. it made it run a lot better and better in the mud but as much for gas. i am sittin on 33s mud tires though
CaperWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
Trader Rating: 7
TECH Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave00C5 View Post
Thanks i've read that before and its quite generic. I'm asking for those that have swapped heads and or cams or rockers to chime in on their gains. I've done virtually everything possible to my vette including supercharging however this truck needs torque and mpg as its a daily work truck. Thanks again for responding. Dave
Thankfully all these ls style motors are generic within thereselves and the gains/results you see won't differ very much from each motor. No need to swap rockers.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #6
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaperWS6 View Post
i have a 00 LQ4 6.0 and i have been only getting 14 MPG out of it, i have shorty headers, the open element KN and hypertech on it. it made it run a lot better and better in the mud but as much for gas. i am sittin on 33s mud tires though
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Silverado5.3 View Post
Thankfully all these ls style motors are generic within thereselves and the gains/results you see won't differ very much from each motor. No need to swap rockers.
I hear ya, i guess i might try swapping the heads along with long tubes and a better air filter to start off in the right direction. I'll get it dynotuned and see where it ends up before and after. Thanks, Dave
Old 03-18-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
Trader Rating: 7
TECH Addict

Send a message via AIM to StrokerAce03 Send a message via MSN to StrokerAce03

Rockers aren't really worth it IMO. The best thing you can do for gas mileage is a good tune and a cautious right foot. Look into one of Vinci's cams like the 210/218 version for good torque off the line. The heads would be a good idea for raising compression as well. Also do the normal stuff of course like a CAI and free-flowing exhaust with long tubes.

2001 GMC Sierra
4.8|MTI T1 Cam|3.73|Yank SS3600|Built 4L65E|3/6 Drop
2001 Camaro Z28 M6
New Air Freshener
StrokerAce03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:07 PM   #9
Launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokerAce03 View Post
Rockers aren't really worth it IMO. The best thing you can do for gas mileage is a good tune and a cautious right foot. Look into one of Vinci's cams like the 210/218 version for good torque off the line. The heads would be a good idea for raising compression as well. Also do the normal stuff of course like a CAI and free-flowing exhaust with long tubes.
Thanks for the info StrokerAce. Thats just the info i was seeking on bumping up the compression with a head swap and a good cam choice.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:13 AM   #10
Trader Rating: 0
TECH Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kerr

dave,

The best way to get tq in that 6.0 is doing a blower,

Id be happy if our 6.0 truck got 13 mpg. I ave 11. and thats including 30 miles a day of interstate driving.

I have been told the computer's in these trucks are not the best in the world. There are a lot of "adjustments" that can be done with the timing and fuel.. Also the tq management can be adjusted. We have data logged my truck and it has pulled 70% of the power before on it..
67 Corvette, 100% stock 327 car if they ask

Link to pictures: http://community.webshots.com/user/kerrspictures
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:13 AM
PerformanceTrucks
Ford F150

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1999, 2000, 2005, 60, engine, gas, heads, lq4, mileage, mod, motor, mpg, parts, performance, upgrades, vortec