Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Silverado switch to electric fans?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 04:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Silverado switch to electric fans?

I ordered a set of LT headers and a cam for my truck a couple days ago but would like to get rid of the factory fan and go with dual electric fans if possible. Has anyone done this? What all do you need to get the swap done?

And as far as the water pump, do I re-use the stock pump or do I have to go with a newer model pump for a truck that is equipped with electric fans rather than the belt driven type?

As far as the fan shroud and electric fans, what is the best way to go about getting rid of the shroud? And what type of fans can I use? LS1 F-body?

Just looking to see what parts I need to buy and how hard it is to swap over...

Thanks

This is a 2002 4x4 Silverado with the 5.3L btw
Old 09-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

A bolt in swap would be the efans out of an 05-07 silverado, sierra, etc. Order a fan harness from nelson or black bear, get the computer tuned for the fans since you are installing a cam and lt's anyway and you are set. You can use Fbody fans as well. You would have to make your own mounts and still order the harness.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:33 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1CLNY2K
A bolt in swap would be the efans out of an 05-07 silverado, sierra, etc. Order a fan harness from nelson or black bear, get the computer tuned for the fans since you are installing a cam and lt's anyway and you are set. You can use Fbody fans as well. You would have to make your own mounts and still order the harness.
He will also need the 34" radiator if he choses the 05+ efans.

Search both this section, and the GM General section and you'll find a wealth of info on the subject. I know that there has been at least one or two epic threads covering about all there is to know about swapping efans into these trucks, including schematics for building your own harness if you don't want to purchase one from BlackBear or Nelson.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the information... so if I use a fan setup from a 05-07 Silverado I have to buy the 34" radiator? Will that radiator bolt right in or do I need mounts or brackets from that same year model?

Since I'm taking the radiator out anyway for the cam swap this sounds like the route I want to take. And one more question, will I need the water pump from a 05-07 as well? Assuming they are like the LS1 car pumps as far as the pulley goes. Thanks for the help. I'm going to start ordering the parts I need to get this done
Old 09-17-2011, 06:25 AM
Teching In

Default fans

I have a 02 avalanche i got a set from ff dyamics $275 everything you need,
Old 09-17-2011, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just take the clutch fan off the stock pump with a big hammer and wrench.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's really pretty simple with f-body fans... They're on sale a lot on here and ls1tech for about 100. They will fit the radiator you have now, and only require little metal connector brackets if any. Really wiring them up the way you want is tougher. If you want to pay the money get a harness from Nelson performance. Other than that you can wire them to a t-stat or directly to a switch on the dash
Old 09-17-2011, 09:51 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by UTfan01SS
Thanks for the information... so if I use a fan setup from a 05-07 Silverado I have to buy the 34" radiator? Will that radiator bolt right in or do I need mounts or brackets from that same year model?

Since I'm taking the radiator out anyway for the cam swap this sounds like the route I want to take. And one more question, will I need the water pump from a 05-07 as well? Assuming they are like the LS1 car pumps as far as the pulley goes. Thanks for the help. I'm going to start ordering the parts I need to get this done
The 34" rad will bolt right in as the threaded holes are already there, you just need 2 more bolts for the fans (same size as the ones that hold in your current radiator). You don't need to do anything to the water pump except remove the clutch fan. Here's a quick parts list:

05-07 Electric fan assembly
2 bolts
34" radiator, either from an HD, SS, 05-07 etc
Fan wiring harness
PCM tuning to turn fans on/off
coolant

If you have a K&N FIPK, you may need to trim the heat shield a little bit as it mounts in the same spot as the 34" radiator, but this is no big deal. Both tdrumm and myself found this out when we did our 05 efan swap years ago...actually back in 05 IIRC. I upgraded to a 145amp alternator, but Tom (tdrumm) retained his factory 105amp alternator and his fans worked flawlessly.

You can get a new aftermarket radiator for a great price from radiatorbarn dot com
Old 09-17-2011, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the information, this looks too easy. I've ordered all the parts so I'll be knocking this out real soon. Thanks again!
Old 09-17-2011, 10:48 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by UTfan01SS
Thanks for all the information, this looks too easy. I've ordered all the parts so I'll be knocking this out real soon. Thanks again!
Glad to help man, it really is a piece of cake. Hardest part is getting the clutch fan off.

Almost forgot to mention, when you install the 34" rad you'll need to trim the two rubber pieces that go along the sides of the current 28" radiator, or they will cover about 3" on each side of the new rad. Not a big deal...straight edge and a razor blade, or even a pair of scissors can handle the task.

Quick Reply: 02 Silverado switch to electric fans?