Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

ZL1 Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ZL1 Torque Converter

I have seen a few threads with people asking about using this converter in trucks with a 6L80. I figured I would give it a gamble. I recently lost 5th gear, so I had to go through my transmission anyway. This converter is pretty sweet for the money. It will foot-brake to about 2300 in my 2007 Escalade (AWD, 6.2). Very happy with it for the money. Under normal driving it stays around 2k rpm through shifts under light throttle until the converter locks. I would imagine there would be a small decrease in fuel economy if you drive a lot of city mileage. With the 6L80, the converter locks low in 4th gear, so it shouldn't hurt it much if you are cruising over 45mph. I would recommend it to save money while the transmission is out, but I don't think I would do all the work just to swap this converter in. I would probably get an higher stall multidisk converter if I were just doing a converter by itself.
My girlfriend drives it daily; she can't even tell it's there, so that's good, lol. Hope this helps.

Name:  ZL1%20Converter_1.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  39.9 KB
The following users liked this post:
FrankU (12-04-2020)