Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Vibration under acceleration after 80E swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 01:23 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I really gotta measure my driveline angles... I can almost guarantee this is my problem
Old 04-23-2014, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so does it seem people are having more issues with the 2pc drivelines vs 1pc? Im right in the middle of my 80e swap, i dont wanna deal with any vibrations after my swap
Old 04-23-2014, 01:46 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I would measure your driveline angles and shim where you need it. If you were factory with a single you should be fine... After all in most applications you wil need a shorter driveshaft. I most definitely needed a shorter shaft... Only reason I say most is because of what was mentioned earlier in the thread.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

My tranny points down 6*. My pinion points down 3*. I have no vibes but i used to get them.

Something yall might want to think about is that your measuring the static/at rest angles. When you get heavy on the gas the rear end will rotate upwards. Sometimes alot. Depending in if you have rubber, poly, or solid leaf spring bushings will determine how much it will deflect. I swapped out every rubber bushings on my leaf springs and shackles to poly for less deflection. I also added some assasin bars to also limit the movement. So with all that i had no vibes at any speed or acceleration/load.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
I would measure your driveline angles and shim where you need it. If you were factory with a single you should be fine... After all in most applications you wil need a shorter driveshaft. I most definitely needed a shorter shaft... Only reason I say most is because of what was mentioned earlier in the thread.
you have a 1pc on yours are you getting vibration to?. I honestly have no idea how to measure angles nor do i prob have the tools to. Im guessing shimming the rear end isnt really hard but ive never done one

my truck will have traction bars so i shouldnt have to worry to much about axle movement
Old 04-23-2014, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
My tranny points down 6*. My pinion points down 3*. I have no vibes but i used to get them.

Something yall might want to think about is that your measuring the static/at rest angles. When you get heavy on the gas the rear end will rotate upwards. Sometimes alot. Depending in if you have rubber, poly, or solid leaf spring bushings will determine how much it will deflect. I swapped out every rubber bushings on my leaf springs and shackles to poly for less deflection. I also added some assasin bars to also limit the movement. So with all that i had no vibes at any speed or acceleration/load.
Vibrations appears to be half the story, the other half seems to be the operating angles for maximum u-joint life. Here's a pic of my rear end after dropping it 4" and putting the pinions shims in the wrong way. It did not vibrate at all, but as you can tell from the pic, it's not a good setup.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by timmay208
so does it seem people are having more issues with the 2pc drivelines vs 1pc? Im right in the middle of my 80e swap, i dont wanna deal with any vibrations after my swap
My Express has a massive 1-piece driveshaft, fwiw.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:02 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Vibrations appears to be half the story, the other half seems to be the operating angles for maximum u-joint life. Here's a pic of my rear end after dropping it 4" and putting the pinions shims in the wrong way. It did not vibrate at all, but as you can tell from the pic, it's not a good setup.
Under a load that angle would get even worse.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Ferocity, your pinion angle looks atrocious in the picture you posted. I'm surprised you would even drive it like that. I'm not sure the carrier bearing relocation was a good idea for your setup.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Under a load that angle would get even worse.
Absolutely! My point was that even with the angles as bad as this, there wasn't vibration, even under heavy load. Reducing vibrations isn't the only reason to have correct angles.

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Ferocity, your pinion angle looks atrocious in the picture you posted. I'm surprised you would even drive it like that. I'm not sure the carrier bearing relocation was a good idea for your setup.
This was a pic from awhile ago immediately after the 4" drop in the rear with the pinion shims the wrong way. I only drove it like this for a few miles before I noticed and fixed it. I agree, it was awful, but surprisingly no vibrations.

Quick Reply: Vibration under acceleration after 80E swap