Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

upgraded brake options...wilwood told me to go away

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twolow02fransen
i had the Z06 front brakes on my truck and they are awsome i had to take them off cause i sold my 20s and put 18s on my truck and the 18s wont clear with the 6-piston caliper. the 20s are the smallest rim you can run with the Z06 setup.

heres a pic for you to drool over makes me wish i never sold the 20s

Where did you get the brackets? I have been looking for some. I know there was a guy on silveradoss dot com that made some but that was last year, dont know if hes stil making them.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
The 05 setup is only 13" rotors not 15".

Baer makes a nice 6 piston 15" front rotor setup.
Thanks..I was saying "-I have also considered a 06+ 15" rotor/BRACKET up front..meaning if you get the 06 eradispeeds/powerslot etc. +2 you get 15" rotors instead of 14" with 99-05...make sense?
Old 05-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RibeiroBJJ
Thanks..I was saying "-I have also considered a 06+ 15" rotor/BRACKET up front..meaning if you get the 06 eradispeeds/powerslot etc. +2 you get 15" rotors instead of 14" with 99-05...make sense?
IC said the blind man

Apparently I wasnt picking up what you were throwing down.

Dont the +2s get you a nicer two piece rotor too? On that big of a rotor a 2 piece is damn near mandatory for longevity.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

Originally Posted by marovetsm
Where did you get the brackets? I have been looking for some. I know there was a guy on silveradoss dot com that made some but that was last year, dont know if hes stil making them.
i got them from a guy that goes by the name JYD over on GMFS but i dont think he sells them anymore. i might be interested in selling my Z06 kit havent made up my mind yet.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:04 PM
TOTM: June 2007

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

yah that guy on gmfs doesnt do them anymore. im going to upgrade to suv 2 pot rears, but Id really like to do a 6 pot front for performance and looks. worst case i will do the 14 inch powerslot setup which would work better than the 05up setup.

pm me a price for your z06 front setup if u want
Old 05-01-2011, 05:05 PM
TOTM: June 2007

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

fyi to the guy that said gm brakes suck, its not the breaks, it simply the massive rubber lines. all my trucks have been converted to ss lines and make a massive difference
Old 05-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

Originally Posted by bgray
fyi to the guy that said gm brakes suck, its not the breaks, it simply the massive rubber lines. all my trucks have been converted to ss lines and make a massive difference
yes i did the same thing and that did make the truck stop much better
Old 05-01-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

little update on story. ordered the full wilwood 14inch kit for my 99 rcsb, its been 5 months since wilwood has taken my money. they have since refunded my money and told me they are discontinuing the break kits for the nbs trucks do to lack of sales, which I understand cause no one has them.

so im faced with trying a different route, im thinking of possibly going with a modded oem option like larger truck brakes or hopefully z06 or equivelent brakes.

So my question is, is there anyone out there that makes brackets that will allow me to run z06 calipers and a larger rotor for my nbs? any info would be great. truck is a 99 nbs 2wd currently 4 wheel disc, upgraded rotors and pads thats it.
Makes me wonder how hard parts will be to get for those w/. Wilwoods on their trucks down the road.

Originally Posted by RibeiroBJJ
I am dealing with this as well...I sold a few set's of eradispeeds I had. Then sold by baer Alumisports..They just diddn't have what I wanted..I really want to do the c6 z06 fronts and oem 13" rears with my new 18" wheels...The Wilwoods and Brembos are really nice but so damn expensive...

I know a few guys make the brackets to run the z06 calipers..off the top of my head SSS.com/GMFS come to mind..Not sure on the members name...

-I have also considered a 06+ 15" rotor/bracket up front with SSBC direct replacement calipers...hmm
+1 Brembos are pricey. Baers seem to be a better price point. Personally, I hope to get some 14" or larger, but really want 15"s but that necessitates 20" rims & tires (a whole bunch more weight than a similiar 18" rim / tire & 14" rotors.)
I wanna keep my handling, yet still keep it drag friendly, but have unworldly great stopping power!!!

Originally Posted by twolow02fransen
i had the Z06 front brakes on my truck and they are awsome i had to take them off cause i sold my 20s and put 18s on my truck and the 18s wont clear with the 6-piston caliper. the 20s are the smallest rim you can run with the Z06 setup.

heres a pic for you to drool over makes me wish i never sold the 20s

i got them from a guy that goes by the name JYD over on GMFS but i dont think he sells them anymore. i might be interested in selling my Z06 kit havent made up my mind yet.
Is he the only 1 you know of Todd? Cause OEM brakes make it easier to go to parts place & just get what pads u need when it's time. I can see the argument in that.

Truck **** at it's finest. So very nice.

Originally Posted by TXSZ66AVLANCHE
Use the 05 and up front brakes with some slotted rotors and good pads, use the SUV brake calipers and rotors on the rear of the truck. This will give you WAY more brakes than you will ever need for a RCSB.

They are better than the 99-04 front brakes, especially in a SUV or big 4 door truck like yours.
Do those SUV calipers have more pistons & differ. sized pistons?

dlt, I think he's sayin the magic is more in the calipers on the 05+ over the 99-04. Of the 5 nbs Silvys that all had terrible brakes, how many were RCSB & 2wd?

fyi to the guy that said gm brakes suck, its not the brakes, it simply the massive rubber lines. all my trucks have been converted to ss lines and make a massive difference
You & Todd both said this, but it's not the 1st time I've read that s/s work wonders. I'd planned to do this anyway (s/s lines) but not til I upgrade to bigger brakes. All in 1.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:38 PM

S/S lines and hydroboost. After switching from vacuum to hydroboost, Ill never understand why GM uses vacuum assist on a truck.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Country Boy
S/S lines and hydroboost. After switching from vacuum to hydroboost, Ill never understand why GM uses vacuum assist on a truck.
Can u do both hydroboost & some big Baers? Cause if it's excessive overkill, it outta be just about right.

I want it to stop like my bro's Z06.

Ya, I know it's sporting an addt'l 1000-1500#. But I want that weight thing to be non-existent when the brake pedal is mashed.

I've had 2 vehicles w/. crappy brakes. My 90 Stang & this, but the truck's are probably better tho not by much. The Fox-bodied Stangs were built from 79-93. They never got good brakes til 93, but only on the '03 Cobra.

Apparently, they (Ford) realized them to be a weak point.

It only took 15 years for Ford to get it right. And now on my Silvy, I'll most likely have to turn to the aftermkt. to get my desired result.

Quick Reply: upgraded brake options...wilwood told me to go away