Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

THE Tru-Cool 40K GVW Transmission Cooler Install Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got tied up last night and didnt have time to mess with posting up pics. Ill add stuff as I go today. Once we get all the info we need Ill condense it all down into the first post.

The fittings are 1/4 STRAIGHT pipe
-6 is the industry standard size for those converting to AN lines
If you just want to retain the factory fittings but still go AN you can use these adapters that Vince@FLT has posted a link to before
http://www.purechoicemotorsports.com...rod/prd255.htm
TCI makes the direct replacements that Ill probably use, I attached a picture of the fittings, those are for an 80e as the 80e's rear fitting is the return and oils the rear planetary(?). Ive taken the stock fitting and gotten a piece of aluminum welded to it to make my own. I havent been able to find a PN on the TCI fittings yet.

I use 16' of -6 when I install these coolers as I like to loop it away from the ehaders as much as possible.

Im still in the process of organizing my photobucket once Im done with that Ill upload all the pics Ive got.
Attached Thumbnails THE Tru-Cool 40K GVW Transmission Cooler Install Thread-tci-cooler-fitting.jpg  
Old 10-07-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic
Big things people (like me) need to know:

-What is the fitting thread size on the trucool cooler? not sure yet but I believe its 1/2 pipe
-What is the fitting thread size on the 4l60e? 1/4 straight pipe
-What is the fitting thread size on the 4l80e? 1/4 straight pipe
-What is the approximate length from the cooler ports to the front central location of the truck? I use 16' you could get away with 15 but plan on 16
-What size hose is adequate to use? everyone uses -6
That should get you started
Old 10-07-2010, 10:31 AM

How my hoses are routed
Name:  IMG_0015.jpg
Views: 14875
Size:  123.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0017.jpg
Views: 12325
Size:  127.8 KB
Coming into the engine bay
Name:  IMG_0053.jpg
Views: 11663
Size:  113.7 KB
Routed down by engine mount, you can see the start of the heat shielding I used
Name:  IMG_0052.jpg
Views: 12008
Size:  108.5 KB
Bellhousing down by oil sensor, I used DEI heat shielding just to make sure the heat from the exhaust doesnt degrade the rubber over time
Name:  IMG_0046.jpg
Views: 11907
Size:  57.1 KB
Connected to the trans, one 90* and one 45*
Name:  IMG_0051.jpg
Views: 12020
Size:  96.4 KB
PN for the heat shielding I used, I just cut it in half so 18" on both hoses
Name:  IMG_0045.jpg
Views: 11993
Size:  77.3 KB
Behind the grille, I chose not to paint mine as painting it(depending on thickness of paint coat) from my experience makes the trans run almsot 10* hotter.
Name:  IMG_0018-1.jpg
Views: 11918
Size:  88.2 KB
Old 10-07-2010, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good info...what do i need to do if im going to keep my stock lines since i already have a stock cooler?
Old 10-07-2010, 10:39 AM

Tubing cutter and cut off the ends, use the barbed fittings and rubber hose that is supplied with the kit. Not a very good way to do it and if you dont make sure the rubber hose is clamped very tight to the hardline it could blow and spew trans fluid all over everything. I ran it like this for about a year with no problems but many on here have had that method break on them. I dont like using compression fitting either because they can be a pain in the *** to seat the ferrel good, which is why I went the AN route. I know itll never leak.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Tubing cutter and cut off the ends, use the barbed fittings and rubber hose that is supplied with the kit. Not a very good way to do it and if you dont make sure the rubber hose is clamped very tight to the hardline it could blow and spew trans fluid all over everything. I ran it like this for about a year with no problems but many on here have had that method break on them. I dont like using compression fitting either because they can be a pain in the *** to seat the ferrel good, which is why I went the AN route. I know itll never leak.
sounds good..so I could run it this way for a while if i needed to..Maybe I missed it, but to to the AN route, does that mean running new lines from the trans? I just spent money to get new lines put on when the new trans went in..id hate to just get rid of them lol..shoulda just had them put a bigger cooler in..

another question, what temps are you guys seeing on your trans with this cooler in the summer, with a stall? in the heavy tahoe with the 3k stall, stock cooler, i see about 170 normal driving, but with the AC on, town driving on a hot day id bump up just over 200...
Old 10-07-2010, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by nickleahy23
sounds good..so I could run it this way for a while if i needed to..Maybe I missed it, but to to the AN route, does that mean running new lines from the trans? I just spent money to get new lines put on when the new trans went in..id hate to just get rid of them lol..shoulda just had them put a bigger cooler in..

another question, what temps are you guys seeing on your trans with this cooler in the summer, with a stall? in the heavy tahoe with the 3k stall, stock cooler, i see about 170 normal driving, but with the AC on, town driving on a hot day id bump up just over 200...
Look at the pictures.

Cruising on the highway will be 130-140 and around town 170s. With a 4k converter in Texas summer heat the most I saw was close to 200 playing around.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:29 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

What type of hose is that? Is it rated for trans fluid, and to what temp?
Have you remembered what size fittings are on the trucool?

Thanks again for all of this
Old 10-07-2010, 11:33 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your setup looks good Cody...is that the "push lock" hose, or whatever it's called, that you used?

Curious about the painted cooler running 10* hotter, I've always painted mine in the past, but never run them before paint and after to see a difference. You have to use the right kind of paint, and nothing that will retain heat like a ceramic paint. Radiators used to always come black, and factory coolers are usually black, so I feel good about mine.

I saw 150-160* temps all summer long, maybe up to 170ish at some points. This is with a Circle-D billet 258mm 2800 multi-disc. With my old PermaCool 17k tube and fin cooler and the stock trans and converter, I'd usually see over 175* most of the time, and up to 200* at times also.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:34 AM

Its regular earls -6 pushloc hose. Nothing special but its rated for all types of crap. Its the same **** they use on all the hot rod crap. Never taken the time to look up the actual specs I just know it will work for my application. I thought I took a pic of the trans cooler fitting package but I didnt. Ive got to do some work here for a little bit but later this afternoon Ill do some digging around.

Quick Reply: THE Tru-Cool 40K GVW Transmission Cooler Install Thread