Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Transfer Case Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case Leak

While I was changing my oil this weekend I noticed this Allen head bolt in the transfer case is leaking.

My truck is an 05 with the NP 246 autotrac transfer case.

I watched a YouTube video on a rebuild and it looks like this bolt goes through the case and holds a shift fork or bracket of some kind. Can I just drain the fluid, take the bolt out, and replace the seal or o-ring on it or does the transfer case need to come apart to do it right?
Old 02-20-2017, 12:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

It holds the shift fork, be best to tear it down to replace the seal on it, and if you havent already installing the pump fix at the same time wouldnt hurt!!
Old 02-20-2017, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Not what I was wanting to hear, but I figured it'd probably need to come apart to do it right. It's got 212,000 miles on it so probably need to look into a full rebuild while its apart.

I do have a fix for the pump rub installed already. I did that myself a couple years ago when I had a howling noise. I thought it was the bearing for the rear output in the transfer case so I replace that and did the pump rub fix while I was in there. Turned out that wasn't really the problem. It ended up being the pinion bearing in my rear axle.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:26 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

I thought that was just the detent pin? That locks the shift fork into place. The actual fork is centered on the shaft.

Name:  IMG_3780Custom_zpse74cd179.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  100.3 KB
Old 02-20-2017, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

There should be one on either side of the case and the fork likes to roll if you take just one of them out. i thought same thing one time, trying to help a guy out, ended up having to tear it down and fix it for free!!
Old 02-23-2017, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

You IBEW, Atomic? I didn't know.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:26 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

I dont know what IBEW is...

Oh if you mean the sticker on the back glass then no, but I think the guy I bought the truck from was and I kept it on there because it went with the theme.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Ok, I've noticed this seems to be dripping pretty good now. I'm looking around at replacements or rebuilding it, but I'm having trouble deciding what I want to do with it.

Any suggestions on websites for parts or a rebuilt unit? I've found plenty, but I don't know how to tell the quality of the parts they sell. What should I be looking for to ensure I'm getting OEM quality parts?
Old 03-14-2017, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Well, I was Keeping a close eye on the leak, but I wasn't expecting the pin to fall out completely. I came home from work one day and there was fluid dripping all over the underside of the truck and the pin was just gone.

I decided to take a chance and see if I could just put it back in. Found the pin on eBay for about $25 and picked up the autotrac fluid.

The pin went right back in with no trouble. I drained what fluid was left and it was pretty black.

I shifted through 4hi, 4lo, and 2wd a few times and it seems to shift fine. I didn't try driving in 4wd on pavement, but it's driving in 2wd.

I'm guessing from the way the fluid looked the clutches are burnt and 4wd drive may not actually work, but would there be any issues with the transfer case in 2wd?

I've got some jerking on downshifts and I'm thinking I notice some slipping when it used to spin the tires if I get on it hard from a stop. I'm just not sure if this could be from the transfer case or if I have a transmission issue too?