Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

trans trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default trans trouble

alittle back story trans shifted great i put in vette servo it shifted better i the put a TB convertor in and right off the bat i got a lock up solenoid code check the pkug ins there all good now the truck has gone into limp mode and if i clear the code it takes off in 1st and shift but after a short time it goes into neutral and nothing i pull over shut the truck off and wait 10 minutes start in back up and it goes again then repeats. Any ideas im about to buy a whole new trans but i hate to if its something im over looking when it works it does slip nothing i just dont get it. could it be the TB convertor?
Old 08-25-2016, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

It very well could be a faulty converter, can you check line pressure?
Old 08-25-2016, 08:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by X_Racing1
alittle back story trans shifted great i put in vette servo it shifted better i the put a TB convertor in and right off the bat i got a lock up solenoid code check the pkug ins there all good now the truck has gone into limp mode and if i clear the code it takes off in 1st and shift but after a short time it goes into neutral and nothing i pull over shut the truck off and wait 10 minutes start in back up and it goes again then repeats. Any ideas im about to buy a whole new trans but i hate to if its something im over looking when it works it does slip nothing i just dont get it. could it be the TB convertor?
What are the chances you did not have the converter all the way seated? then it would hae broke the pump gears,pressure test as Wolf mentioned
Old 08-25-2016, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Kinda where i was going! just wanted to verify pressure loss, which is what it sounds like is going on, before condemning the pump!!
Old 08-25-2016, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Converter is no good..the filter is clogged up with more than likely converter material..when the truck stops moving is because filter is clogged..turn the truck off for a little bit the filter drops all the junk and as you start it again it will suck everything back and get clogged again causing no movement..remove pan and see if theres alot of debri like gray glitter in it
Old 08-26-2016, 02:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You start with a perfectly working trans.You pull it out toss in another converter and now it has little to no main line pressure? 97% of the time that would be because converter not in all the way,tighten bell housing mash gears into converter hub,you will know soon enough when you pull it .AT this time you feel you got a bad converter?
Old 08-26-2016, 03:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

What brand converter did you put in it? Have seen where they have been remanufactured with the wrong hub and tear the pump rotor to pieces, even when installed "properly" because the hub only partially engages the rotor! Either way i agree with both trains of thought bad converter, something came apart and there will be debris in the pan and probably need at very least a rotor in the pump, if not a new pump!! ...And a filter kit!!
Old 08-26-2016, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is the converter I put in it and it wasnt right after I should have said that I got the code right a way but I've put 3k miles on the truck since putting the converter in.

Dacco/Transmission Torque Converter B85VJCX- ReadReviews onDacco #B85VJCX
Old 08-26-2016, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Same one i had in my 99 before i swapped the trans... Doesnt mean it wasnt a faulty reman... So have you been having issues from the time it was installed or is it a recebtly developed issue?
Old 08-26-2016, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

it started with the truck acting like it was not unlocking it would die when you came to a stop then it got worse from there. right after that it went into limp mode and all the other **** happen

Quick Reply: trans trouble