Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Trans overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans overheating problem

Finally got the truck build finished after 19 months and 2 shops later.

My truck has a new jakes 4l80e and their triple disk converter- would not buy this product again and would of went with a PTC. I was told yesterday it was a 3200 by the original shop who ordered it, but it is not. It's Sloppy af and absolutely terrible driving on the street- can be probably resolved by a restall but I'm not sure I want it.

I had the shop install a deep finned aluminum pan and trans cooler with fans. Temperature outside is 75 degrees. I live in s. Florida so summer is on the way.

I've checked trans ambient temp and it's correct so trans temp gauge is reading correctly.

The truck was picked up from original shop and finished at another. It's first half of its life at the previous shop, there was a problem with the converter not engaging the input shaft of the trans. Jakes had changed out the shaft as it was out of spec and would not allow the converter to engage.

Fast forward 18 months from the start and truck finally is running and driving and I get a call from the new shop saying my new Moser fab9 is whining with Less than 10 miles on it. Diff is drained (only 1.5 quarts come out) and full of metal! Pull diff and gears are melted and all bearings fried. I bring it to Broward Drive Train and they said the only way this would essentially happen is it had no fluid in it and said it was absolutely toasted.Previous shop said they filled it u. There were NO leaks so from what I was told I'll leave that at that- . New shop has not touched the rear since he got it.

After taking it out, rebuild of the diff, installed and $1000 later it's driving. Havnt even turned the key myself on it at this point and frustrating failure.

i receive my truck 3 days ago to put miles on the new diff so I'm babying it until it's ready for the dyno.

Trans temp immediately climbs to 190+ within minutes. 5 miles in and 3 stop lights the trans Will heat up to two 220-230 degrees. Feels like the sloppy converter just doesn't want to lock up and when it does keeps coming in and out even at sustained 60-65 mph, almost like it's constantly slipping. 1-2 shift is almost non existent and very mushy with truck barely wanting to move. I can't drive it more than a few miles without it climbing to over 220 degrees.

Can a sloppy loose and very high stall create this much heat in just a few miles of babying iRidiculous.

After doing some research, I've read it could be a failed Tc selonoid, possible seal failure, or o-ring in input shaft is bad?? Or is it just so loose and sloppy it's creating this much heat?? Regardless I've been through hell and back with this build trying to get it right.

What do you think could be the cause of the trans overheating this quickly. I've never let it get above 230 before shutting it down and cool off and have only put extremely easy 60 miles on it. Anyone's input would be greatly helpful as I'm worn out with this entire ordeal and havnt even been able to enjoy it but it's damn close and want it to be finally rolling.

This was yesterday with 10 miles at 65 mph and 3 stop lights, I can replicate this this each time .

Last edited by MOBBN; 02-11-2017 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Grammar was shit
Old 02-11-2017, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Do you have a way to check slip speed of the converter? A badly slipping converter will cause the temps to rise quickly.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Do you have a way to check slip speed of the converter? A badly slipping converter will cause the temps to rise quickly.
Hmm I didn't think of that but I'll have the shop see what % itnis. It has to be up there, besides the converter possibly failed somehow, that could be a great possibility. I'll see what he says thanks!