Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Running slicks to the track

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Running slicks to the track

My local track is about 10miles from my house and rather than bringing a jack and swapping the rear wheels out I would like to just run slicks to the track. My question is what PSI should I run while driving there? Truck is about 5200lbs with me in it. And what PSI should I make my passes with (first time running slicks)?. I've heard, start at 20psi and work my way down until they hook how I want. Thanks for the responses!
Old 02-11-2017, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dicey... If they are ET streets, or some other type of DOT radial, then you will be fine. If they are a true all out slick, then I would just swap them at the track.

The tires are not beefy like a road tire, they won't deal well with road debris, or bumps and potholes. If its a clear, smooth road, you will probably be fine. Just steer clear of road hazards.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Id run 20 to 25 pounds there, then go down to 15 for a pass and go down from there. They should have a recommended psi rating. I think my hoosiers are 13-15psi, and I generally run there but lots of street racers have advised lower for non-prep stuff but they get dicey under about 12 pounds and I dont care for it.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:39 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

I wouldnt do that...youll eat up a lot of the life of the tire in that seemingly little distance.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Atomic
I wouldnt do that...youll eat up a lot of the life of the tire in that seemingly little distance.
This is very true but 10 miles isnt a ton and depending on how often he goes may be very doable.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:07 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Back in college I had a 1985 single cab short bed GMC with a warmed up 454 in it as my daily driver. Every Friday after work I haul *** down to discount tire and have them mount my slicks to my wheels. Then every Monday before work I'd go back and have them mount the street tires back up. So I would drive all weekend, every weekend, on slicks. The only time I didn't do it was if it was going to rain Friday Saturday and Sunday. So if rain was only in the forecast for one day of the weekend, I'd still do it. The reason I did this was because I did a lot of street racing and would hit the track Friday nights and I didn't have the money for a second set of Weld wheels. Anyway, I'd run them at 25 psi when cruising, air down when racing and then pump them back up. I had one of those **** air compressors that was powered by the cig lighter. Tons of fun and never had an issue, even when it rained. Those where the days.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blown06
Back in college I had a 1985 single cab short bed GMC with a warmed up 454 in it as my daily driver. Every Friday after work I haul *** down to discount tire and have them mount my slicks to my wheels. Then every Monday before work I'd go back and have them mount the street tires back up. So I would drive all weekend, every weekend, on slicks. The only time I didn't do it was if it was going to rain Friday Saturday and Sunday. So if rain was only in the forecast for one day of the weekend, I'd still do it. The reason I did this was because I did a lot of street racing and would hit the track Friday nights and I didn't have the money for a second set of Weld wheels. Anyway, I'd run them at 25 psi when cruising, air down when racing and then pump them back up. I had one of those **** air compressors that was powered by the cig lighter. Tons of fun and never had an issue, even when it rained. Those where the days.
Thanks man! Probably will try running them to the track once and see how it goes, if all goes well and no noticeable signs of wear, then I'll continue to do it when going to the track.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

My buddy swore he ate up a set of NEW slicks driving around in only 250 miles. Dont know how true this is but crap it made me wonder.......
Old 02-16-2017, 12:23 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I guess if you have enough power to warrant slicks and you drive around on them and pretend like every stop light is the tree at the drag strip.....I suppose you could ruin a set quicker than that.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blown06
I guess if you have enough power to warrant slicks and you drive around on them and pretend like every stop light is the tree at the drag strip.....I suppose you could ruin a set quicker than that.
Definitely not doing that. I'm just going to put them in at the track, save a little tread life.