Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Ridetech Coil-overs Installed gmt-800

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyjm1
Mwood,

Where are you located in NC? Im in Creedmoor and work in Raleigh. Be great to find a like minded NBS truck guy. Nobody gets why my 6k lb truck keeps acting more and more like a sportscar. Lol
Im at Fort Bragg right now. I visit Raleigh every once in a while. I need to come hear your truck with those long tubes on them.

Originally Posted by TheBeeblebrox
Just a quick update, finally got some RT Smooth Body shocks for the rear of my truck

To replace these pos belltechs

I've only put about 5 miles on them so far and haven't played with the settings much yet (10 clicks right now), but they are much better. Most of the crashing over rough broken pavement is gone now, actually feels like a set of shocks are back there.

This should keep me happy for a while until I decide to 4-link the back and ditch the leafs.
Nice! I've been thinking of getting those while I wait on a 3-link.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 132 Likes on 87 Posts

I just read thru the entire thread again and am still a bit unclear on how much the strong arm lca lowers the shock mount from the stock lca. I can see from the pics posted that the mount is below the horizontal plain between frame mount and ball joint but it doesn't look to be 4" like skeet mentioned. Anyone have an actual measurement on how the SA's lower the mount from stock?

Based on my current measurements and calculations I plan on using the 4.1 HQ stud mount with 900# springs and a 2" spindle for ~4" drop from stock height. I am also looking at other brands but nothing matches the range I need if having to use a eyelet adapter as the compressed height is too long for the extended height needed and vice versa. If the strong arm lower provides a few extra inches of shock height I may be able to use a double adjustable I am exploring.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I used a 4.1 inch shock and made my own eyelet adapters that bolted up through the studs and had 2 tabs which lowered the upper mounting point about an inch and a half. Mines about 3" -3.5" lower with mcgaughys 16" spindles (only 1" of drop from spindles since you can't relocate the lower ball joint like with factory arms. If I was you I'd get the strong arms and mock up the ride height before I bought the coilovers to make sure you're getting the right length. Also I hade to machine my spindles to clear the lower ball joint on the strongarms. I made a pocket about .125" deep and a few inches y'all and across so they ball joint had room to articulate. Hope this helps.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the info. You brought something else to my attention about the 16" spindle. I guess if I use the strong arms, I would be better off using the 17" spindle and flipping the UCAs for the raised upper ball joint location/angle.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

I called RideTech yesterday to inquire about the strong arms. He did not have the dimensions I wanted but said they recommend the control arms with the 3.6 and 8" 850lb springs for about a 4" drop. I contemplated going that route but ended up sticking with my plan of 2" spindles with the 4.1 HQ coilover. So I ordered them with 900lb 10" springs. I'll stick with the 16" spindles since I am doing new ball joints along with new poly bushings which saves me ~$220 over the RT lca. UCAs will also get new poly bushings and ball joints. I also picked up the 12.5-18.8" smooth body HQ shocks for the rear.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats the same set-up I'm running up front, you will be at a 5" drop unless you crank up those coils, which will only get you about an inch.
Personally, and I'm debating doing this too (actually raising my truck and inch or so all around), I would get the 5.2" shocks.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

I modeled my current geometry in AutoCAD then simulated the proposed arrangement by lowering the end of the lca by 1.5" and moving the lower shock mounting position up .625" for a 12.59" shock length at ride height. That puts me at ~.53 comp/.47 ext at ride height with the additional height of the stud top. The 5.2 would be compressed ~75% at ride height based on my model. I also wanted the longest shock I could use without crashing on compression. I felt this was more important on a lowered truck vs having full extension. The uca can be mechanically limited to prevent unsprung weight from hanging on the shock when up in the air.
Attached Thumbnails Ridetech Coil-overs Installed gmt-800-coilovers-model_ex.png   Ridetech Coil-overs Installed gmt-800-coilovers-model_prop.png  
Old 03-18-2015, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good ol' autocad.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:06 AM

Default Ridetech coil over installed gmt 809

I just got done putting in the RideTech set up. I used a 2 inch Bell Tech spindle and 6.1 RideTech coil over and an 800# spring. I think it was an 8 inch? RideTech makes an upper locator adapter so you can run a cross shaft upper mount instead of the stud. I'm also using the StrongArm lowers. This combo netted the same 4 inch drop as before but a HUGE difference in ride!
Old 03-30-2015, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sofa King Slow Racing
I just got done putting in the RideTech set up. I used a 2 inch Bell Tech spindle and 6.1 RideTech coil over and an 800# spring. I think it was an 8 inch? RideTech makes an upper locator adapter so you can run a cross shaft upper mount instead of the stud. I'm also using the StrongArm lowers. This combo netted the same 4 inch drop as before but a HUGE difference in ride!
Any pics of how the truck sits now?

Quick Reply: Ridetech Coil-overs Installed gmt-800