Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Ridetech Coil-overs Installed gmt-800

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by milesp07
That's awesome. Are your bushings noisy when going over bumps? Mine are, just wondering if that's the nature of these poly bushings.
No mine aren't. Might be because I put more grease in them than I needed to. And I sprayed the ends with WD40 to get them to go in the truck easier.

I don't have any drag racing plans for this truck. My goal is canyon carving/pro touring/autocross. However, I did notice that acceleration and braking is better along with cornering obviously.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:59 AM
Teching In

Verry interested in this whole thread!!!!!!!. Any updates? Bout to start one of these setups and jus want to make sure i got all ending results and knowledge possible. Also anyone in socal with such setup , maybe a comparison drive/help? Thanks
Old 11-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KING×DOSHA
Verry interested in this whole thread!!!!!!!. Any updates? Bout to start one of these setups and jus want to make sure i got all ending results and knowledge possible. Also anyone in socal with such setup , maybe a comparison drive/help? Thanks
I've got close to 8k miles on them now with no issues, I would offer a ride (I'm in SoCal) but I have to pull my trans now so my truck is down for a while. What kind of help do you need?
Old 11-15-2014, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I've got a couple thousand miles on my setup now too. Adding the coilovers was a drastic change in ride quality and I highly recommend it. Obviously these trucks weren't made to be this low so it still takes hard bumps hard but it makes daily driving much, much better

here's my truck by the way
Old 12-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Im loving it. I have probably close to 2k miles on my setup. Just made a trip from NC to IL and back. Truck handled great! I did bottom it out on a hill back in IL. Only thing it did was spit out grease from the ball joints. I guess I put too much in. Currently I have 800# springs. I think I have the coil over set at -5 clicks from full stiff. I need to put some 900# springs on it.

Also, it does have a little bit of bump steer. But Im not worried about it now. Once I get the back finished I will take care of any small issues that might still be there.
Attached Thumbnails Ridetech Coil-overs Installed gmt-800-img_0315.jpg  

Last edited by MWood; 12-06-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MWood
Raised it up an inch on both sides and it does not bottom out. Still think I would like a stiffer spring. Running a 10" 800# now. Got it aligned today as well.

Did you end up with the 4.1 shocks? And in this pic what are you running in the rear stock?

Thanks for everyones posts. I have an 02 RCSB and I am getting my list ready!
Old 12-08-2014, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MWood
Im loving it. I have probably close to 2k miles on my setup. Just made a trip from NC to IL and back. Truck handled great! I did bottom it out on a hill back in IL. Only thing it did was spit out grease from the ball joints. I guess I put too much in. Currently I have 800# springs. I think I have the coil over set at -5 clicks from full stiff. I need to put some 900# springs on it.

Also, it does have a little bit of bump steer. But Im not worried about it now. Once I get the back finished I will take care of any small issues that might still be there.

If your ball-joint spit grease it may have reached its maximum limit (bad thing and can break it off!). Was it your upper ball-joint, or lower, or both?
If you are using stock UCA's, you may want to flip it and repress in the ball joint from the other side when flipped. This will give your ball joint a better operating range and minimize it ever hitting its limit when lowered. If left stock and lowered any more than about 3" from stock height, then the BJ sits at an acute angle. Flipping the UCA will get it close to a right angle when lowered to about 4"...

I had a thread somewhere about that when I did it on my Silvy. Easy to do and free. Also might want to add in some eccentric UCA bushings (both Belltech and Moog make some) while they are out too, and it helps give more camber adjustment back.

Just wondering what you had in mind to fix your bump-steer?
The bump-steer won't be caused by your coil-overs, more so the geometry of your suspension components (whether stock or aftermarket lowering parts) at your current lowered ride-height and how your toe/camber change through the travel.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jjdoyle
Did you end up with the 4.1 shocks? And in this pic what are you running in the rear stock?

Thanks for everyones posts. I have an 02 RCSB and I am getting my list ready!
Yea, I'm running then 4.1 shocks. In the rear I just have 2" lowering shackles. I think I went with Eibach.

Im running upper and lower strong-arms. It was the driver upper, and the passenger lower bj. I haven't had any issues since. I don't have any plans on fixing the bump steer now. I'll address it after I finish up the back.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mwood,

Where are you located in NC? Im in Creedmoor and work in Raleigh. Be great to find a like minded NBS truck guy. Nobody gets why my 6k lb truck keeps acting more and more like a sportscar. Lol
Old 02-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a quick update, finally got some RT Smooth Body shocks for the rear of my truck

To replace these pos belltechs

I've only put about 5 miles on them so far and haven't played with the settings much yet (10 clicks right now), but they are much better. Most of the crashing over rough broken pavement is gone now, actually feels like a set of shocks are back there.

This should keep me happy for a while until I decide to 4-link the back and ditch the leafs.

Quick Reply: Ridetech Coil-overs Installed gmt-800