Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Ridetech Coil-overs Installed gmt-800

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by GWEE
The bark isnt the problem how's her bite? lol just tell her you need to...
let just say some times i'm on the couch cause I want to be lol she's been in that truck she knows I need it, just tells me cut back on the turbo stuff
Old 02-27-2014, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm turbo, shocks, turbo, shocks, turbo, shocks sorry i can't help you there. I'd try and get both lol
Old 03-07-2014, 06:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a really good article on selecting the right shock/spring.

How To Pick The Right Spring Rate - Chevy High Performance Magazine All Pages
Old 03-07-2014, 07:15 AM
Teching In

Another good one.

Competition Plus.com - Drag Racing's Internet Magazine
Old 03-08-2014, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Alright. After doing some reading on both of those articles a couple of points hit me.

1. Changing ride height with the spring length and/or spring location on the shock is not the best solution. It will take the shock out of its optimal zone.

2. With a 13" upper to lower mount length of the 2wd shock mount, it seems as though the 4.1 stroke ridetech shock would be the best for canyon carving. That would leave 70% available for compression (2.9") and 30% for rebound (1.2"). From what I have read 60/40 would be ideal. The 5.2" shock would be perfect for the drag racing guys (40/60).

3. If you were to use the strong arms then you might not even be able to make up for the amount of drop they give. For guys like me that do not want to go that low the SA are just not an option it seems like.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MWood
Alright. After doing some reading on both of those articles a couple of points hit me.

1. Changing ride height with the spring length and/or spring location on the shock is not the best solution. It will take the shock out of its optimal zone.

2. With a 13" upper to lower mount length of the 2wd shock mount, it seems as though the 4.1 stroke ridetech shock would be the best for canyon carving. That would leave 70% available for compression (2.9") and 30% for rebound (1.2"). From what I have read 60/40 would be ideal. The 5.2" shock would be perfect for the drag racing guys (40/60).

3. If you were to use the strong arms then you might not even be able to make up for the amount of drop they give. For guys like me that do not want to go that low the SA are just not an option it seems like.
as far as the strong arms go, if you were up to the task of relocating the shock mount you could set your ride height to any height you would want and be able to keep the shock in the sweet spot. im still working on doing just that to my truck, however i have to wait for some warmer weather.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PaulyC
as far as the strong arms go, if you were up to the task of relocating the shock mount you could set your ride height to any height you would want and be able to keep the shock in the sweet spot. im still working on doing just that to my truck, however i have to wait for some warmer weather.

Have you had a chance to look at this yet? I am interested in using the strongarms if you can set it to 2 or 3" lower than stock instead of 5".
Old 03-23-2014, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MWood
Have you had a chance to look at this yet? I am interested in using the strongarms if you can set it to 2 or 3" lower than stock instead of 5".
look at what? i already have the arms, just waiting to get some nice weather tout them on. the upper mounts i have are atomics bolt on ones that i just had welded to the frame because i was bagged before i went to coils and had the stockmount removed for the bag mount. the strong arms only have one mounting position if thats what you are asking.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:05 PM
Teching In

So if i'm understanding this correctly, if I run the same setup as beeblebrox with the 10" shocks and #700 spring for RCSB with stock spindles my drop would be from adjustable from 3" to 5" respectively? I am looking into this because my truck will be a daily and we get a decent amount of snow in Ks so I would like to raise it in the winter. Any comments would be appreciated. And excellent write-up, should def become a sticky!-Sam
Old 05-10-2014, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

dont know for sure but 5" might be a little much for the ball joints?

Quick Reply: Ridetech Coil-overs Installed gmt-800