Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

replacement flywheel/upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacement flywheel/upgrade

Turns out after 125k miles I fubared my flywheel. Just pulled the convertor bolts and its moving a good 1/8th inch as the engine spins with the convertor unbolted.

Truck is a 07 K2500 suburban, with a 2300 TVS with 9 pounds (currently, most likey getting meth and more soon) through full exhaust. My guess is 6500-7000 lbs of weight and who knows on power. What are my aftermarket options for flywheels for the 6.0 and 4L80 combo retaining 6 bolts on the convertor.

On the fence about a convertor as well since I still tow heavy with the truck, but most likely going to do something since I'm in there.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:52 PM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The flexplate can have a little bit of wobble unbolted, that are just stamped steel. Why did you check it, have some strange noises?

Having said that, we have an SFI version that is a nice upgrade. They are $150. This will fit the OE converter and let you use all 6 bolts. And we also have a few converter choices if you would like to discuss your build. Shoot me an "Ask Chris" and I will get back to you.

Chris
Old 08-24-2015, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Circle-D
The flexplate can have a little bit of wobble unbolted, that are just stamped steel. Why did you check it, have some strange noises?

Having said that, we have an SFI version that is a nice upgrade. They are $150. This will fit the OE converter and let you use all 6 bolts. And we also have a few converter choices if you would like to discuss your build. Shoot me an "Ask Chris" and I will get back to you.

Chris
I had what you would describe as a rod knock coming from the flywheel/convertor area, pulled the cover and it got real loud, figured I'd see how bad things are with the convertor disconnected and no load, no noise.

I actually picked up the phone and spoke to Lance....who recommended the flexplate and a 278mm convertor.

Just a question looking at the flexplate I see the two sets of holes it looks like every other is the different bolt spacing, aren't the 4L80e's all the same spacing for all 6 holes? (I'm thinking back to the 502 and older style 4L80e here where I was stuck running 3 convertor bolts.....and that thing held up to 25k miles of beat downs....as compared to the suburban that I haven't even done a holeshot with)

Just waiting to hear back from one of my local options up here in NY to see what they have to offer for me to make a decision.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:56 PM
Former Vendor

Flexplate picture online is wrong, working on updating our pics - sorry for the confusion. The one we have uses 6 equally spaced hole on the larger 11.5" bolt circle. It also has 6 holes equally spaced on the "LS" bolt circle.

The 278mm is a great option and will fit this flexplate, uses 3 on the LS bolt circle. If you want to stay with the OE converter you will need a pilot extender.

Chris
Old 08-24-2015, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I ran a circle d sfi flex plate and after a summer it had a crack in it. I swapped it out for a TCI after reading tons of good reviews so we will see how it holds up.
as far as converter, defanitly go with circle d. chris will set you up with a great converter.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:38 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

I have a TCI on my setup, Chris @ circle D has a sweet Billet one now though.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Circle-D
Flexplate picture online is wrong, working on updating our pics - sorry for the confusion. The one we have uses 6 equally spaced hole on the larger 11.5" bolt circle. It also has 6 holes equally spaced on the "LS" bolt circle.

The 278mm is a great option and will fit this flexplate, uses 3 on the LS bolt circle. If you want to stay with the OE converter you will need a pilot extender.

Chris
Just to reconfirm. Lance on the phone said I wouldn't need any extender's with your SFI flexplate and a stock sized 6 pad convertor. (gonna go with a local stock sized hd rebuild, if I hurt a flex plate with 6 pads I'm not happy going to 3 with my overweight pig)

He has my order on his desk for the flexplate said they're coming in tomorrow and should ship out tomorrow.

Obviously with a factory 6.0 and 4l80 I already have some sort of spacer thing behind the factory flexplate, do I reuse that? No bolt length issues with the thicker plate?

Just want to have all my parts before I start throwing things back together next week.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:09 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Y2KLimited
Just to reconfirm. Lance on the phone said I wouldn't need any extender's with your SFI flexplate and a stock sized 6 pad convertor. (gonna go with a local stock sized hd rebuild, if I hurt a flex plate with 6 pads I'm not happy going to 3 with my overweight pig)

He has my order on his desk for the flexplate said they're coming in tomorrow and should ship out tomorrow.

Obviously with a factory 6.0 and 4l80 I already have some sort of spacer thing behind the factory flexplate, do I reuse that? No bolt length issues with the thicker plate?

Just want to have all my parts before I start throwing things back together next week.
Tried calling... flexplates are in. The flexplate probably broke in the crank area, that is where the wink link is. We use a 3 bolt converter setup on 1000+ with no problems. I think you would really enjoy the 278mm in your truck...

Chris
Old 12-01-2015, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So after about a month and a half, maybe 1000-1500 miles with a rebuilt trans I've been babying (it was out with 130k, figured have it gone thru, only needed frictions and seals) and a new converter, I have that wonderful tapping sound when the truck is in gear once again, so I'm pretty sure I trashed my circle-d flexplate.

Anyone know the part number for a TCI flexplate for a LY6/4L80E combo?
Old 12-02-2015, 04:37 AM
Former Vendor

399754 is the TCI 4L80 version. But I would check for a noise elsewhere. We have had zero problems on the flexplate you have, very stout piece. Maybe converter bolts or cranks bolts are loose?

Chris

Quick Reply: replacement flywheel/upgrade