Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Official A4 to M6 (T-56) Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daryn c
the regular transmission is just fine. no point of having the ssr or gto trans.....
I'd hardly agree if you want the better gear ratios offered in those other transmissions. Just cause everyone does one thing doesn't mean you have to as well. F-body ones don't have triple-cone synchros either, if that's something you'd want.

Seeing as how my truck is decidedly heavier than an f-body, I wanted the beefier internals offered in the gto tranny. It also has a deeper first gear and and a slightly deeper 6th gear, which means I don't have to run as deep a rear end gear, which in turn means I can keep my driveshaft speeds down. Ever see a driveshaft turn itself into a sine wave? Not something I wish to experience on the stock driveshaft. I'll be getting a built one in due time.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PathfinderJr
I'd hardly agree if you want the better gear ratios offered in those other transmissions. Just cause everyone does one thing doesn't mean you have to as well. F-body ones don't have triple-cone synchros either, if that's something you'd want.

Seeing as how my truck is decidedly heavier than an f-body, I wanted the beefier internals offered in the gto tranny. It also has a deeper first gear and and a slightly deeper 6th gear, which means I don't have to run as deep a rear end gear, which in turn means I can keep my driveshaft speeds down. Ever see a driveshaft turn itself into a sine wave? Not something I wish to experience on the stock driveshaft. I'll be getting a built one in due time.
Yeah...this is very true.

I did see a D/S near turn its self solid once...and promptly sheered off. Kinda looked like a twizzler.

Maybe one of those ones from Keisler Engineering
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI2fGeL7DEE
That was posted in the SRT-10 Section a little while back.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

what so beefy about the gears?... ive ben past 130 mph on the 4.88's , driveshaft has no vibration at all... besides the steel shift fork and carbon fiber blocker rings. my t56 is stock. and it can handle alot more than what ive thrown at it!
Old 05-23-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

FYI - I just towed 8500 lbs for 3 hrs at 75-85 mph on hilly terrain with an LS7 clutch and a LS1 T56.
I guess it is a good towing trans too!
Old 05-23-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
FYI - I just towed 8500 lbs for 3 hrs at 75-85 mph on hilly terrain with an LS7 clutch and a LS1 T56.
That's what I like to hear.

Noticed you have 5.13's too....That should take a lot of stress off too.
I am going to start piecing things together as soon as I get home...Try and source out some parts.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

90% of us here with t56's have regular t56's and big gears.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:26 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, That's what you were telling me before. Bigger gears to reduce strain. But I still didn't think I could use the trans to tow...especially 8500LBS.

That has kinda cinched it for me. I really don't like driving an auto...Its boring.

So do you guys recommend a 14B rear with the swap? I mean I will probably not exactly be easy on it...I wont be drifting the truck by any means.....but I wont be pussyfooting around town either.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jordan927
Yeah, That's what you were telling me before. Bigger gears to reduce strain. But I still didn't think I could use the trans to tow...especially 8500LBS.

That has kinda cinched it for me. I really don't like driving an auto...Its boring.

So do you guys recommend a 14B rear with the swap? I mean I will probably not exactly be easy on it...I wont be drifting the truck by any means.....but I wont be pussyfooting around town either.
The 8.6 10 bolt with a good posi unit and heavy aluminum cover with jack bolts and it will hold up just fine. I've been abusing the crap out of mine for 50,000+ miles and all I did was snap an axle with a 5000 rpm dump at the track. Yukon makes axles that slide right in at a good price. I haven't been to the track and tested them though.
Cover is like this one and has jack bolts against the differential bearing caps to help keep them in place.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By no means, no one said it can't be done. It's the details on the inside which make a stock GTO/SSR tranny a little beefier. Besides the ratios, the gears themselves as far as material and what not are the same. I think its awesome you've been able to do that. Certainly a testiment to the drivetrain combo for sure.

Originally Posted by daryn c
90% of us here with t56's have regular t56's and big gears.
Lemming effect much? Haha, just messing with you man, but seriously, stock for stock, the LS1 tranny is slightly weaker. Once you go through them, the durability factor goes out the window, but thats if you take the time/effort to do that. Really everyone should just to be sure, but its whatever pulls your trigger. What made my mind was the gear ratios.

And just cause you've been over 130 on some deep gears a couple times doesn't mean anything. If you do the math, you'll find the critical speed of your driveshaft and the numbers don't lie. Going past the limit doesn't guarantee that something will happen, but you're certainly testing the laws of physics. I, for one, like the ratios in the other tranny along with the slightly higher 6th gear for peace of mind.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Regular

The 8.6 10 bolt with a good posi unit and heavy aluminum cover with jack bolts and it will hold up just fine. I've been abusing the crap out of mine for 50,000+ miles and all I did was snap an axle with a 5000 rpm dump at the track. Yukon makes axles that slide right in at a good price. I haven't been to the track and tested them though.
Cover is like this one and has jack bolts against the differential bearing caps to help keep them in place.
Yeah I was looking at getting a Moser Cover a while back.

So the G80 is likely out of the question for an LSD I would imagine...LOL
I'll probably be looking at something like the Detroit SureTrac or Eaton POSI LSD unit. The LSD is looking very good...

I also Agree with bobby too...the slightly higher geared GTO/SSR trans would be nice to have. But either way...it looks like the trans will not let me down with an LS7 Clutch. Worst case senario....If I need to tow or haul anything I will drop it in 4th for added insurance, instead of 5th. Whats a few extra RPM and gallons of fuel....Its not a burnt clutch or toasted trans.

Last edited by Jordan927; 05-24-2010 at 08:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Official A4 to M6 (T-56) Thread!