Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

new ring and pinion whine on decel.. buggin me

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new ring and pinion whine on decel.. buggin me

about 800 miles ago i had a AAM 3.73 put in my 10 bolt chevy rearend. I went from 3.08 to 3.73. installed called and said he thought the gears were cut wrong and there is a little whine. Got the truck and there is whine on decel between 50-35ish. Checked the wear pattern and it looked good to me and many many others. Oil was clean and not much on the magnet. ECGS said that once it's started, it will always whine and if it stops to be concerned because something changed. I'm nervous that once i put a trailer on it, it will be bad news. I've been thinking about taking it to another shop to have them check it out as the installer is very insistant that his install was by the books and it was the gears. ECGS said AAM is the go to gear for them for quality and quiet gears.

I don't hear a thing except on decel between that mph range. Going from 75 down, its quiet until i get to that range.

What should i do? Live with it and hope it quiets down. It's not that bad but any noise bugs me. I've heard stories similar to mine that it went quiet after a few thousand miles. I put in amsoil severe gear in and no change.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds to me it was not set up perfectly... from my experience in building 50 + rearends over the past 16 years as a tech, it sounds to me that there is slightly to much backlash causing the whine on decel... chances are it will stay like that forever without any issues other then the noise... if u have or can borrow a dail indicator measure your backlash, its should be between .005-.008"
Old 01-30-2017, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LOWRIDERGMC
Sounds to me it was not set up perfectly... from my experience in building 50 + rearends over the past 16 years as a tech, it sounds to me that there is slightly to much backlash causing the whine on decel... chances are it will stay like that forever without any issues other then the noise... if u have or can borrow a dail indicator measure your backlash, its should be between .005-.008"
ok, thanks for the info! Does the wear pattern look ok? Since i have 800 or so miles on it, a backlash change won't affect the noise due to the fact that my pattern has developed? No chance of it just going away?

Thanks again!
Old 01-30-2017, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

No problem! I've been down this road before lol. Wear pattern / pinion depth looks good... chances are it is just slightly out. I would start with a measurement with dial indicator for backlash and go from there.. if it is in fact let's just say .0010" (too loose) u can try re shimming the carrier over slightly to tighten it up a bit basically without affecting your New wear pattern. Just enough to get rid of the whine...
Old 01-30-2017, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LOWRIDERGMC
No problem! I've been down this road before lol. Wear pattern / pinion depth looks good... chances are it is just slightly out. I would start with a measurement with dial indicator for backlash and go from there.. if it is in fact let's just say .0010" (too loose) u can try re shimming the carrier over slightly to tighten it up a bit basically without affecting your New wear pattern. Just enough to get rid of the whine...
thanks for the info! I'm going to take it asap to get that looked at. I'm getting involved but that is a little above my pay grade lol

thanks again!
Old 01-30-2017, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mj0528
thanks for the info! I'm going to take it asap to get that looked at. I'm getting involved but that is a little above my pay grade lol

thanks again!
Lol no problem good luck
Old 01-30-2017, 10:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with the abovr except that it's only going to get louder as the gears wear. Same thing happened with my dad's F150. I took it to precision 4 Wheel Drive in Clackamas, OR and asked for 4.88s (37s) and a Mag Hytec cover. When I picked it up, it had clear silicone oozing out all around the cover. He tried to give me some cheap cover for the price of the Mag Hytec! I called him on it and he acted like it was a mistake and swapped the cover.

I left and later noticed that on deceleration from about 70 it whined. I again told him about it and he said it was normal. I didn't know any better so I figured it would get better. Well, 10 years later and it has only gotten worse. It actually vibrates now not just whines.

After that, I decided I would regear my 14 bolt myself. Still haven't driven it, but I'm glad I did it. If you want to give it a shot, read up and post in the gear install thread or here for advice if needed.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Noise doesnt kill a rear end, its 99% of the time just an annoyance. If the pattern looks fine and the shop is reputable I wouldnt give it a second thought.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Noise doesnt kill a rear end, its 99% of the time just an annoyance. If the pattern looks fine and the shop is reputable I wouldnt give it a second thought.
yea, think I'm gonna have to live with it or take matters in my own hand. Another shop quoted me 325 to look things over. I told the guy that I only payed 300 for the install and he looked at me and said well, looks like the only thing you could do at this point is to install a new ring and pinion so I'm going to quit beating this dead horse and just leave as is and hope for the best. I screwed up when I didn't let the installer order the parts so I learned a lesson and also learned a lot about diffs.

maybe I'll go with a 4.10 from my 3.73 in the future and take what I learned here and apply it there.

thanks for all the help guys!

have a good day!
Old 02-02-2017, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive setup a lot of rearends, as well as paid for some when I was younger. I can promise you the way the gears are cut and what they are made out of determines how hard they are to be dead silent. My first ever rear end I did (not knowing anything) was dead silent. Over the years Ive come to realize it was probably bc of the specific gears I used, which were like stock. After a bunch of quiet ones Ive had some consistently noisy ones, and yep you guessed it, its all another kind of gear that always seems to make some kind of noise. NONE have broken through the years, point being, sometimes it (noise) really is out of the control of the installer and doesn't indicate anything is out of spec.