Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Need trans wire diagrams and 6L80E ?s

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 03:59 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need trans wire diagrams and 6L80E ?s

I am thinking of doing a 6L80e swap instead of the usual 4L swap. I need the wiring diagram for a 60e, 4l80e, and 6l80e if anyone has one. Does anybody know if the dimensions of the 4l80e is the same as the 6l80e? I also wonder if i could use the tailshaft adapter from a 4l80e on the 6l80e since the first apps for the trans will be for the CTS-V which obviously is 2wd along with the 4wd output shaft. I have a feeling these two parts will have to be custom made The first gear ratio of 4.02 and the close ratio of the other gears is jsut too tempting for my heavy 4wd truck and the fact that I could make use of the low first gear and not just put it all up in smoke like a 2wd truck would Next does anybody know if it(6l80e) uses two VSS's or not? This is why I need a wiring diagram of it. I guess as far as tuning the shifts I would need to start off with a CTS-V trans file and use that as the basis for my trans tuning? What is the name of the palce where you have to send your PCM to get them to reprogram it so it can control a 4l80e I may need to speak with them about controlling the 6l80e? As you can tell this is going to be a very involved swap but I think it will be well worth the payoff in the end. I would be able to get away with a lower stall so I wont have to run the gas guzzling 3200 stall in my 5600# truck. I have a feeling Im going to be doing well to get out of the single digits after the 418 swap. If anyone has any answers for me or could possibly point me in the right direction to some of the answers for my questions it would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-05-2005, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are you gonna get one? GM's R&D have just started selling off the protoypes. The processor is self contained so there should be very little wiring involved. The buss system may be a pain to bypass. Good luck.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Veteran

You need to get some part numbers first. That will point get you close to an idea of what it'll all cost. I'm willing to bet though, that trans won't get you into the "single digits" in stock form. You're going to need to beef up some stuff, which probably won't be out for quite awhile.

As for tuning it sounds like it would be a nightmare with a truck PCM. I think you'd be better off making things work with the CTS-V PCM. Also I'd try to get a hold of CTS-V wiring too. Hack it up and have your way with it. I don't know, that's my take on the whole thing. I thought about doing this swap myself, but the first gear would be totally useless to me, and I'm willing to wait to see if this trans is really all that its cracked up to be. You might want to switch gears too depending on what ratios you already have. I think anything above 3.00ish:1 would make 1st gear a smoke show.

As for your 4wd situation, I have no clue on the output shaft, but at least plan on having two driveshafts made.

I'm curious to see what the gear indicator would look like too. PRND54321 HA!
Old 12-05-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about a 4l80e with the different 1st gear. Since the 6l80e is not available yet, it will cost a mint to just get your hands on one when they are available. If the computer controls are not self contained you will have to do a stand alone or get a pcm from one of the vehicles that have the 6l80e.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

What he said.

You could get a th400 or 4l80 and install a gear vendors you signifcantly cheaper. We know they will take a fair amount of abuse. As we all know being the first costs a ton more!
Old 12-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know about the 4l80e with the first gear upgrade to 3ish:1 which is what I would do for sure if I went that way but damn everyone has one and well with the new job that I might be getting I would have a company truck and I have a bike so I could stand to have my truck down for 2-3 months. The payoff would be awesome. The shift recovery of every shift would be awesome. I realize in stock form it wouldnt be strong enough but Im not going to be pushing 1000rwhp till the end of next summer thats plenty of time for some good parts to start coming out. The deal about the stand alone controller thats why I want a wiring diagram of it to see if it is possible. There is also a company that makes a stand alone ocmputer system to control the trans. I dont like having the same thing that everyone else has thats why I did a 418 in a ecsb Z71 everyone says its too heavy and that a 4.100" crank side loads the block too much well I guess we will see My next mod will be a HD trans and I would like for it to be a 6L80E. As far as how am I getting it well thats top secret information. After I get mine Ill let the cat out of the bag. Does anybody have any pics of the tailshaft of a 4wd 4l80e? I think Im going to have to get a 4wd 4L80E trans from the junkyard to reference off of and maybe steal the tailshaft and output shaft if its possible. I have a trans guy that can work wonders with fabbing stuff with his lathe and drill press and he also has access to a CNC machine so it may be possible to do its just going to take ALOT of research and work to get it in there. I know I will have to go with custom driveshafts thats already lined up If anybody has some GM manuals with the wiring harnes for the 60e or the 4l80e please email them to
Old 12-05-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck. Will be a killer setup if you can pull it off.