Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

How to increase tow rating?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to increase tow rating?

I am looking at buying another boat and I would like to be able to tow it with my Yukon Denali but the stock tow rating is around 8000 lbs but the boat I am going to buy is 10800lbs. The boat I have now is around 5000lbs and with my blower on my truck now pulling 5000lbs is nothing. I think I have enough power to pull the bigger boat but I want to make sure my drivetrain is up for the job.

I currently have a fully built 4l80e. What else do I need to upgrade to make my truck capable of towing 10800lbs without breaking something? Can my suspension even take that much weight? I have the autoleveling shocks in my Denali.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is your current rear suspension ...2 link with coils, leafs,2 link with air bags ..what size rim and tire...a little more info would help to answer your question..
-technically you cant "change" a vehicles tow rating, but there are a few things to make it a hell of alot safer/reliable
-Check out Hellwig product as well as aftermarket air springs, You may have a Fabricator beef everything up(Links,rearend,bushings etc.)
Old 01-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RibeiroBJJ
What is your current rear suspension ...2 link with coils, leafs,2 link with air bags ..what size rim and tire...a little more info would help to answer your question..
-technically you cant "change" a vehicles tow rating, but there are a few things to make it a hell of alot safer/reliable
-Check out Hellwig product as well as aftermarket air springs, You may have a Fabricator beef everything up(Links,rearend,bushings etc.)
I have a set of 20" wheels with 285/55 tires and set of 24's. I have the stock denali suspension with the autoleveling air suspension in the rear. I lowered the truck with a 2/3 mcgaughys kit. I've got eibach sway bars too. I upgraded my breaks with brembos all around.

Will anything actually break towing that much weight?
Old 01-23-2010, 01:32 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with the blower/4l80 and big breaks I would think you'd be just fine.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bromaguire
I have a set of 20" wheels with 285/55 tires and set of 24's. I have the stock denali suspension with the autoleveling air suspension in the rear. I lowered the truck with a 2/3 mcgaughys kit. I've got eibach sway bars too. I upgraded my breaks with brembos all around.

Will anything actually break towing that much weight?
Definately tow with the 20's and NOT 24's...your factory suspension is linked with airbags...pretty beefy..as pointed out sc'd 6.0 +4l80e+14 bolt+big brakes+swaybar=pretty damn good towing setup...only thing I see breaking would be the rear,but you have a 14 bolt or the trans,but again you have a 80e
-you will be fine, just be responsible and go slow...
Old 01-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RibeiroBJJ
Definately tow with the 20's and NOT 24's...your factory suspension is linked with airbags...pretty beefy..as pointed out sc'd 6.0 +4l80e+14 bolt+big brakes+swaybar=pretty damn good towing setup...only thing I see breaking would be the rear,but you have a 14 bolt or the trans,but again you have a 80e
-you will be fine, just be responsible and go slow...
Does the Yukon Denali come with the 14 bolt stock? What would cause my rear to give out while towing (just want to know so I don't do it)?
Old 01-23-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would agree with ^^^^ I wouldnt hesitate towing it but I wouldnt try to race towing it either.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:39 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yukon's come with a 10 bolt, the weight over the axle is part of the tow rating, the larger rear axle the higher the tow rating. a 10 bolt has very little strength due to the small ring gear and toothpick size axle tubes, an upgrade to a 14 bolt rear axle will increase your load rating.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by supersub
yukon's come with a 10 bolt, the weight over the axle is part of the tow rating, the larger rear axle the higher the tow rating. a 10 bolt has very little strength due to the small ring gear and toothpick size axle tubes, an upgrade to a 14 bolt rear axle will increase your load rating.
Thats what I was thinking. I didn't think I had a 14 bolt. Are the conversions difficult? Anyone make a kit for it or have a list of what all is needed for the conversion?
Old 01-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Later model Escalade EXT's came with the 14bolt... I'm sure it would be a fairly bolt in deal... Beyond that, aftermarket sways or springs is about all you can do.

Quick Reply: How to increase tow rating?