Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Mcgaughy's

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mcgaughy's

Does anyone have any experience with this drop kit from Mcgaughy's: GMC Sierra 1500 2007-2013 3/5 - 4/6 Deluxe Drop Kit - McGaughys Part# 34060

I can get a pretty deal on it, but I heard that I will lose some turning radius.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Teching In

I have installed alot of truck lowering kits, all diff brands. Mcgauphy's is my brand of choice. I currently have a 2/4 on my 05 1500 ext cab. I lost some turning radius. However when I lowered my 89 1500 std cab 4/6 using a mix of western, djm and bell tech lost turning radius there too. After a while you learn how to get around it and it only pisses you off in tiny parking lots. I guess you got to give something up to look cool lol.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:29 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You'll lose a little bit of turning radius with any of the kits at 4-6 to 5-7 drop. It's not that bad though.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:14 PM
FormerVendor

The spindles offered by McG are NOT a true 2" drop spindle. You will need to get camber bushings to get the truck to align with that size drop. Another thing is the flip kit does NOT come with the transmission spacer to help correct the vibration. Overall I would recommend the Belltech kit. It might be a bit more but the kit does come complete.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

I put a 5/7 drop on my 2011 GMC and I updated the front struts with a Belltech adjustable strut. I did this since McGaughy's did not have the adjustable ones that they have now at the time that we did the work. I also put in the camber degree kit that Bell Tech sells to get the front wheels back to straight. The truck has 70,000 miles on it now, most of which were with this drop on it. You will have to cut open the rubber fender liners at the top of the fenderwell to gain some clearance and then seal them to the sheetmetal above them. I also downsized my tires to a 265/50/20 to gain a little more room. Handles well and the ride is not any more rougher than the original ride height.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by piecesparts
You will have to cut open the rubber fender liners at the top of the fenderwell to gain some clearance and then seal them to the sheetmetal
What did you seal it with?
Old 06-21-2014, 10:04 PM

Exclamation Need help!!!

hi guys

well i have been on gmfs and trying to get some help with my truck.

I have a 2011 GMC sierra denali awd. i got a Mcgaughy's 5/7 drop kit. it consist of there 2" drop spindles, new front shocks, and for the rear flip kit and rear shocks. At first i didnt know i had to cut off the factory bump stops so then i did. i am having problems with it being bouncy and it hitting the axle hitting the frame.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

The McGaughy's drop kit uses the factory struts and they supply their own brand of shocks for the rear. I changed out my front struts for a set of adjustable struts from Belltech, that were made for a drop and also have better valving in them than the factory struts. I changed the rear shocks out for a set of Bilsteins shocks that also improved that problem. The bump stops on the rear were changed out for a set of Timbren absobers to ensure that I had a good sized bumper in the rear and now when I want haul anything that is heavy, I also put on a set of McGaughy's air bags for added support.

The truck is now well over 100,000 miles and handling just fine.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:08 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by izzy88lbk
hi guys

well i have been on gmfs and trying to get some help with my truck.

I have a 2011 GMC sierra denali awd. i got a Mcgaughy's 5/7 drop kit. it consist of there 2" drop spindles, new front shocks, and for the rear flip kit and rear shocks. At first i didnt know i had to cut off the factory bump stops so then i did. i am having problems with it being bouncy and it hitting the axle hitting the frame.
You can use Belltech lowering struts in the front and Street Performance shocks in the rear. I would recommend Belltech's bumpstops in the rear too. At 7" you shouldn't need a notch but it is always nice to have.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

This truck is lowered with the McGaughy's 5/7 drop. We did the notch to get clearance and it rides fine. As I stated, the factory struts and McGaughy's shocks did not work as well as I wanted them to.
Attached Thumbnails Mcgaughy's-011-medium-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Mcgaughy's