Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Lowering AWD Denali Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Lowering AWD Denali Options

Whats up fellas,

Been a long time lurker, figured someone could point me in the right direction to lower my pickup truck.

For some reason I have an understanding that 4wd and 2wd nnbs truck have the same control arm, and spring setup, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I've seen a couple guys lower AWD Denali's up to 5 inches up front, but with a belltech kit.
I'm wondering if theres a way I can use the DJM 4" Lowering A-arms, and maybe a 1" lowering spring or adjustable struts?
I want to really stay away from spindles if I can, just because I loved the DJM setup I had on my previous SS.

In the rear I want to purchase the 7" flip kit and get a 1" lift shackle for a total 6" rear drop, because their 6" kit, seems to cut and invert the rear hanger, and I want to be able to be able to return it to stock if I have to.

Any help would be appreciated, ultimately I want a 5/6 drop.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts

I have a 3/5 on my '12 AWD Denali using off-brand spindles and BellTech lowering struts up front and off-brand flip kit and BellTech shocks in the rear. The flip kit put too much angle in the u-joints and I have been fighting a rear vibration since. It currently has 1/2" spacer on the trans and 2.5* shims bringing the pinion down. The 1/2" trans spacers didn't seem to change the angles on the front shaft much at all.

As to not wanting to remove the rear hanger and use a lift shackle; frankly the bump stop bracket was more of a pain to remove than the rear hangers. You could still bolt the stock hangers back on if you decide to return to stock height. The bump stock bracket is a permanent removal unless you procure a new piece and weld it place.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:06 AM
TECH Regular

Well if it helps, I called DJM, and told me the A-arms for 2WD and 4WD NNBS trucks are the same.
For some reason, they said they dont advertise the LCA's for 4WD trucks because of the extreme angle they put on the front axles. Im not sure if this is just a preventative measure for them to not be liable to any issues, but Ive used those 4" LCA's on my previous SS, and the angles were bad, but not to where I had major issues.

I've seen guys go up to a 5" drop up front with struts, springs, and spindles with little to no issues, so Im wondering if it'll be safe to risk it on the LCA's considering the LCA's maintain better drivability than spindles and springs.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts

A 5" drop on the front is going to result in the same CV angles regardless of the components used. At 3" my CV went from slightly positive to slightly negative at about the same angle. I would imagine 5" is going to put a pretty hard negative angle on them. If you drive it hard, you may need to look into spacing up the differential to lessen the angles which may work out good as you will likely need to bring the trans up 1/2" for the 7" out back.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

I see your point. I might look into making some 1/2" spacers for the axes on the front diff, kinda like the ones used on lift kits.

Out back Im only doing a 5-6" drop.
Worst case, ill do a 4/5, but I wanna try out my luck with the 5/6