Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Loud pop from front end when backing up and cranked to the right, now alignment off

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 07:59 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Loud pop from front end when backing up and cranked to the right, now alignment off

This is on my 99 1500. Twice now when backing out of a parking space with the steering wheel cranked all the way to the right, I've gotten a loud pop or bang from what sounds like the left front wheel area. The first time it happened I thought maybe the tire just caught the plastic fender liner, but the second time I stopped and got out to look and there was enough clearance that it wasn't possible.

Second time (last night) that it happened, it actually felt like I drove over something, I could feel the truck bind up a little bit and then release after the pop happened. Now my alignment is off, truck pulls pretty hard to the right. I'm going down in a little bit to check everything out, but I'm not sure if I'll see anything obvious.

I'm not sure if it's related or not, but I've had something that rattles over bumps in the truck since I finished it. I may have just been listening closely last night after hearing the pops, but it seems louder now.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-25-2014, 08:42 AM
High on diesel fumes

I just went out and poked around under the truck, jacked the front end up, tried to shake the tires, nothing seems loose. Cranked the wheel to both directions and spun the tires, no binding. Not sure what to check next.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a popping issue on slow turns at full lock, turned out to be the front crossmember I had dropped a while earlier wasn't fully tightened back up. Got the bolts torqued properly and no issues since. This doesn't explain your alignment going out of whack tho.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:30 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Camber plates sliding around??
Old 01-25-2014, 09:48 AM
High on diesel fumes

I checked those, they don't look like they are moving. I'm wondering about my LCA's though. I replaced UCA bushings, upper ball joint, and inner and outer tie rods. Never did LCA bushings or ball joints, and they don't look like they are in very good shape. Maybe the rubber is deteriorating enough that the LCA is sliding around?
Old 01-25-2014, 10:37 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i had a issue with my steering shaft making noises every once in a while on my z71- replaced alot of parts in front end and it was that.... but mine did not pull like your talking good luck
Old 01-25-2014, 11:06 AM
High on diesel fumes

Yeah I have the steering shaft rattle too, that's a different noise.

I fixed the rattle on the passenger side, it was a loose shock bolt. Still no idea what cause the alignment to jump...also went out and tried to duplicate the popping noise and can't. I guess I'll just take it in for alignment again and see if they tell me anything is bad. Time to make use of that lifetime alignment I bought at Firestone
Old 01-25-2014, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

It probable needs lower ball joints.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:58 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like your upper control arms are loose at the frame. You should have your wife retorque them for you.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you tie-rods bending by chance?

A pair of cheap sleeves is a very quick fix for the average truck, but it's not perfect. I found it helped the steering solidity while taking sharp corners at around town speeds. I felt less scrub and flex, which was disconcerting.

Quick Reply: Loud pop from front end when backing up and cranked to the right, now alignment off