Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Lot of trouble with servo install

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo pin won't come out of 2nd apply

***Check post 6 for new issue with stuck pin.***

This is for a 2004 Tahoe LT.
I can not for the life of me get the 2nd gear out of the housing.
It currently hits this piece of metal down there and will not budge and I'm a little afraid of just ripping it out as I don't want to damage the internals of the transmission with the pin or possibly bend the pin for some reason. Also worried about putting it back in. Anyone have an idea as to what is going on?

I have read plenty of threads and can't find any similar issues to mine.
It will not budge past this point. As you can see it is not enough to pull it straight down. I can pull the pin out and lift the assembly upwards a bit, but that doesn't really help me.

I'm starting to wonder if it's this little lip sticking out.

Last edited by MrBalll; 01-12-2017 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Update title
Old 01-11-2017, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you lower the trans with a jack after removing the trans crossmemeber? That would give u extra room maybe.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:46 PM
Teching In

I had the same problem with my install. I beat that lip down with a hammer and punch, it helped a little, but it would still hit. It's been awhile since I did it, so I can't remember exactly what the trick is, but keep trying. If you get it just right it will come out. Try to remember the way it comes out because you will have the same trouble getting it back in.

Also, get an inspection mirror and flashlight and be sure the top of the snap ring is fully seated back in or it will pop out the first time it trys to shift. I was pretty sure it was in when I just felt up there with my finger. It took me three trys until I finally got an inspection mirror and could tell the top wasn't fully seated.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GMC93
Can you lower the trans with a jack after removing the trans crossmemeber? That would give u extra room maybe.
Would it drop the transmission enough without having to fully unbolt the thing? I don't have a trans jack, but I can use a regular jack and 2x4 I'm sure.

Originally Posted by jbaum02
I had the same problem with my install. I beat that lip down with a hammer and punch, it helped a little, but it would still hit. It's been awhile since I did it, so I can't remember exactly what the trick is, but keep trying. If you get it just right it will come out. Try to remember the way it comes out because you will have the same trouble getting it back in.

Also, get an inspection mirror and flashlight and be sure the top of the snap ring is fully seated back in or it will pop out the first time it trys to shift. I was pretty sure it was in when I just felt up there with my finger. It took me three trys until I finally got an inspection mirror and could tell the top wasn't fully seated.
Yeah, I've been paying attention in case I do get it out. But I will get a mirror to be 100% sure if I ever get it out.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Put jack under tailshaft of trans,
Lift it 1/8" to remove tension from cross member.
Remove the 4 bolts on crossmember.
Lower *** of trans so that cross member clears frame.
Push *** of trans toward driver side.
Remove servo.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the suggestion on dropping the transmission. Worked out much easier with it out of the way.

I swear I'm not meant to do this mod. I finally get the 2nd apply out and now the pin will not come out of it. The spring, washer and clip is out, but the pin is hung up now. I could probably hammer it out, but wanting to make sure that is safe to do without damaging something.

Any suggestions on how to get that pin out? I've got the OEM 2 groove pin.

Last edited by MrBalll; 01-12-2017 at 08:21 PM.