Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Lift kit opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That might be the case. I just know that big *** Burban was sexy as hell and I wanted it haha! Maybe one day.... good luck on your lift
Old 01-20-2017, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I would do a lot of research. I understand trying to save money but It might cost you in the long run. It sure cost me.

Rough Country NBS lift is 4" drop wether its a 4 or 6" lift.
Mcgaughys is 7" that can be cranked to 9. (Actually advertised as 7)

Rough Countrys NNBS 5" lift is probably a 5" drop
Rough Countrys NNBS 7.5" probably a 5" drop

Mcgaughys will be a true 7" and everything will be at a healthy factory like angle once installed.

I have spent more than what I payed for my rough country lift kit just trying to make it ride good and safe at 6" lift.

I really just hate rough country now, they put a bad taste in my mouth and I feel like it hurts the value of any vehicle that its on. It is known for the cheapest lift.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Just loaded up the install instructions for the 5" and 7.5" at rough country. The cross-members and spindles are the same part number. Rough country hasn't changed a thing. If you buy the 5" you will get a good deal but I wouldn't stress out my factory components with 2.5 bigger spacers.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:41 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

McGaughys, Rancho and BDS are top notch lift kits. I personally use a Rancho lift on mine and the build quality is amazing. The biggest selling point for me was the 1 Piece Subframe, only have to make 1 cut with no welding, and the components included in the kit. My buddy has a McGaughys 7-9" lift and that kit is also very well built. I have been around numerous Rough Country lifts and they are not up to par with the rest. If you do go with Rough Country, I personally, would stay with their 5 or 6 inch lift due to excessive driveline angles.

I am not fond of ProComp or Fabtech due to issues in the past but can not comment on their lifts for the GMT900.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a cognito 4-6" ntbd lift on my gmt900 duramax and love it so far.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:52 AM
Launching!

I feel like cognitio is the best but they are over priced. Mcgaughys just feels like a fair price for a quality lift.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Rough country's site even says the 7.5" is basically a 5" rear lift with a 2.5" leveling kit added to the front. Seems there is one box extra that if you leave out you have the 5" kit! Where are yall buying the mcgaughys stuff from? Havent even looked into the rancho kit yet. Biggest thing i have been noticing is it seems most of the lifts for the nnbs suvs all seem to have basically the same concept of how they lift the truck. Biggest problem with mcgaughys i have seen so far is, looking at pics anyway is it seems the front sits a bit higher than the rear, not sure if the have the front set to 9" or whatever and thats whats causing it, but i want the yukon to basically be either level or the rear to be slightly higher than the front.

Willhorne22 do you have pics of the cognito upper control arms, and do you have the ones with the dual shock mount built into them? Been wanti g to get a set of them for my silverado for a while now.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Well your SUV doenst have torsion bars so Its probably not adjustable ride height front or back. If Mcgaughys is lower in the back you could just buy a 1" spacer or something for the rear.

I didn't buy shock hoops because I'm coil overs. I had to cut off the abs, and brake line tabs because the coil over clearance.

Name:  20161213_122030.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  360.7 KB
Attached Thumbnails Lift kit opinions-20161213_122030.jpg  

Last edited by willhorne22; 01-21-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

The mcgaughys front shocks are adjustable from 7-9", thing i noticed abut their instructions is it seems the front struts are an option, the kit comes with clamshell brackets for the front factory shocks and then there is an additional section on installing the mcgaughys shocks, my thing with the rear is all of the kits seem to have shock extenders for the rear and uses the stock rear shocks except the rancho and either pro comp or fabtech kits.. my boggest thing with rancho kit is it requires new shocks but doesnt include them! I did notice there is about a 3/4-1" difference in ride height one side to the other on my yukon, which i am assuming is a weak spring which i will need to address when i lift it or probably before, i want to make sure everything is in working order prior to lifting it... just dont want to spend money/time on new front springs just to have to replace them again when i lift it.. i do plan on a set of upper control arms when i lift it, whether stock replacements or some sort of upgrade, i havent decided yet...
Old 02-04-2017, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

So, i found a new never used rough country kit for less than $1000 shipped.... figure if it isnt up to par, i can get a fabtech or mcgaughys kit, but i think it will be fine!! Plan to replace the upper control arns with a set of cognito or a set of rough country's arms! Both have replaceable ball joints, and are supposed to increase the range of motion of the upper ball joint. Just depends on $$$ at the time! I am going to put a new set of front quikstruts on when i install the lift, along with rebuilding my front diff.... actually got a used diff i am debatinv on whether i want to just go through before i put it in or just run temporarily while i rebuild the stock one... also debating on getting a set of fabtech outer tie rods, rather than cutting mine like rc recommeds....