Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

LETS TALK WEIGHT REDUCTION...... *discussion*

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by denali_on_26's
are the fleetside or stepside beds lighter? and by how much?
i don't like the a stepside but if its lighter i might deal with it
Ive been told the straight bed is lighter and worth the swap, but by how much im not sure
Old 11-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=skeet;4583904]

How much did the 4 link run u 4????hows the ride with the 4link????
Old 11-26-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Where our street cars are faster than your racecars..Mississippi

Originally Posted by DAYTONA81
Ive been told the straight bed is lighter and worth the swap, but by how much im not sure

can someone confirm this please...
i am about to drive 4 hours next weekend to swap my bed for a stepside cause i was told they were lighter....

so is a fleetside or stepside lighter and by how much?
Old 11-26-2010, 04:46 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the swap purely for looks and got a chance to pick both of them up on the same day. It seemed the stepside was lighter but not by much. I'd say 50 lbs or less.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Where our street cars are faster than your racecars..Mississippi

any more weight removal tips?
Old 11-28-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by denali_on_26's
can someone confirm this please...
i am about to drive 4 hours next weekend to swap my bed for a stepside cause i was told they were lighter....

so is a fleetside or stepside lighter and by how much?
i wouldnt do it if i was you, reason being if youre putting down any decent power you'll need all the weight possible in the rear of the truck. we're light already and making it lighter in the back just makes it worse for traction.. if anything we need to figure out how we can make the front of our trucks lighter
Old 11-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Baltimore Whore

As far as beds go. I had the bed off my truck, put a new one on. The one I just put on is or was def lighter then my one I took off.. Both were fleet sides.. Only thing I have done was remove spare tire bracket, wench, jack.. Put a stock bumper back on, so I know my truck is a fat pig.. But like skeet said some weight is good. Just depends on where it is at..
Old 11-28-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

skeet . how much weight do you think you lost with the link? your setup looks greaat simple and works . the factory bucket in the aftermarket tank is great too it gives me some ideas
Old 11-28-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2004SSS
skeet . how much weight do you think you lost with the link? your setup looks greaat simple and works . the factory bucket in the aftermarket tank is great too it gives me some ideas

i did weigh the factory bucket seats, they weighed a total of 136-146 if i recall, the seats i installed wieghed 23lbs a piece, at lease 100 lbs there, the leafs are heavy, as for actual weight i dont know nor do i know how much the 4 link weighed but theres really not much there if you really look at it, the gas tank same which the fuel cell is lighter i do know i can only guess i lost an estimated 300-400 lbs, maybe Jon ( dbrods ) can give us a better educated guess on the tank/leaf spring weight?

just wish i could drop the weight off the nose without spending a fortune it would take fabricated upper lower control arms, and a few other custom parts and such, im sure i'll do it one day but not anytime soon or with in the next year
Old 11-28-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iv shaved a honest 500 pounds so far...spare tire and braket, overload spring, factory hitch, back seat and brakets, complete parking break assm., factory sound deadener, etc.

right now my truck sits at 4640 pounds on a CAT cert. scale...but the frnt diff and drive shaft is out right now, so that 100 pounds more that will be added as soon as its regeared...im soon ditching the bench seat for buckets, removing some more unneeded brakets, and moving the battery to the rear, and replacing the bumper with a rollpan. when its said and done id like to have it around 4,800. not bad for a ECSB z71

Quick Reply: LETS TALK WEIGHT REDUCTION...... *discussion*