Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Improving 2004 Yukon Denali AWD

Old 09-26-2015, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Improving 2004 Yukon Denali AWD

I would like to improve my AWD on my 2004 Yukon Denali. Thinking about this as snow season comes up. Generally I have no problems unless one wheel is off in the air or has 0 traction. But even if that one wheel has just a bit of traction I can usually roll through. The thing is that even though I have AWD I try to avoid as many situations as I can since it isn't true 4WD.

What I would like to do is put a tru-trac in the rear differential and then change the front axle to the type with an actuator and only lock the front axle when really really needed. I am hoping that this is possible and would help improve off road capacity or situations where only one wheel is in the air.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this idea?

Would switching to the NVG149 or whatever be worth it as well and how involved is that?
Old 09-26-2015, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The trutrac is a good idea.

You have pretty much no options for your front diff. There are no lockers or limited slip options. Your only path for such things is a 9.25? Ifs swap or going solid front axel.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tru trac will help. As far as the front, I'm not sure what would or could be done. I know the parts will bolt in (if you are talking about "push button" 4x4) and the autotrac t case. With the 149, you will be in the same boat about not being able to go into 4wd or stay 2wd when needed. I do think that the 149 case would help you with the tru trac, but again there will be the issue of what you need to disable from your current configuration since your bw transfer case is electronically controlled.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

When you say electronically controlled do you mean there are speed sensors in the case? Because I was under the impression that my Tcase was nothing more than an open differential. I am guessing you are saying the 149 would not have the provision to plug in the speed sensors and thus cause trouble codes. Correct? I actually can't recall anything at all being plugged into my tcase but I will get under there and check.

For the front axle, it sounds like you are saying there is not a way to swap to a 8.25 from a 4wd and just manually lock it somehow by only having the front actuator and not the rest of the tcase associated with 4wd?

http://www.rsgear.com/articles/2008_10.pdf

If you look at the diagram in this pdf you can see the shifter shaft and the actuator I a thinking about trying to add to my front axle. This would take a donor axle and some swapping around. Looking at exploded diagrams to figure out what I need to add. Possibly making a switch on the dash I can manually engage to lock and unlock my 8.25 axle.

Last edited by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed; 09-26-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your truck should have the borg warner 4481 case and I believe the truck uses the brakes in conjunction, but I'm not actually sure that the 149 wouldn't work. If so, that would be your best bet imo. I am swapping my np246 auto trac which is the push button vase out for a 149. My truck has the front diff with the actuator, but yours is the type like what came in 149 equipped trucks I believe..so it might just be as easy as swapping the transfer case.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:31 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

In order to swap to a 246 Auto track case and Locking differential, You would need to add all the wiring for the transfer case as well as the front differential and re flash the BCM and the ECU accordingly.

It can be done as another member just did added this to his truck. I believe his was a manual transfer case.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:20 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Yeah, just dropped the 246 in place of the 241. Pretty sure I'm the first person in history to do it lol...everyone usually does the opposite. Just weird to have an automatic transmission but gotta reach down to grab a stick to shift the transfer case. Maybe I'm lazy.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nvg 149 has a viscous coupling inside which controls where the power goes instead of the newer Borg Warner tcases that work in conjunction with your traction control like said above.

Do you offroad your truck? With the snow in the northeast we get I have never experienced and issue in my 10 Sierra Denali or my Pop's 04 Yukon Denali. Also both truck pull 10,000lb boats up a gravel ramp and never slip either. Maybe tires are your concern?
Old 09-27-2015, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bad2k
Your truck should have the borg warner 4481 case and I believe the truck uses the brakes in conjunction, but I'm not actually sure that the 149 wouldn't work. If so, that would be your best bet imo. I am swapping my np246 auto trac which is the push button vase out for a 149. My truck has the front diff with the actuator, but yours is the type like what came in 149 equipped trucks I believe..so it might just be as easy as swapping the transfer case.
You're correct that the BW works with the brakes. I accidentally got one first for my swap and quickly figured out it wouldn't work without the very sofisticated brake system. It locks the spinning wheel to force traction on the opposite corner. All computer controlled. I love my 149 and recommend them a lot but you probably need to figure out how to disable that particular brake function as it will fight the 149 and maybe cause damage or even be dangerous. Both awd cases need the tension from the front and rear together all the time. I can't even get mine on a dyno without swapping my old 246 and locking it 2wd. I'm dreading it because damn I hate that case. It's why I swapped. It would just randomly put itself in 4low in traffic or not work at all when I needed it.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have never actually gotten stuck to the point where I needed a tow. Just wanted to improve it even more.

In the winter I have been as far as Pittsburgh in the snow. I go to the mountains (skyline area) sometimes. I got to NJ MD DE DC VA all the time. We get snow in these areas but it isn't too crazy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Improving 2004 Yukon Denali AWD