Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

How) to use coil spring compressor tool

Old 10-27-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How) to use coil spring compressor tool

I'm using a rented tool from Auto Zone(OEM 27035). It is an updated version of this tool. The old one had two jaws of different lengths at the top and bottom. This one has the two different length jaws at the top only, but the bottom has a foot instead of two jaws(looks like a ducks foot with a slit down the middle on one side only that goes almost to the center of the foot). What happens is when the tool is partially tightened the jaw on the bottom goes flying off into outer space like a projectile. Very dangerous. The jaw is supposed to be kept in place on the threaded rod by a round recessed area on the bottom of the jaw where the flat washer that push up on the jaw are located. These flat washers push up on the jaw to compress the spring as the threaded rod is tightened. The washers are also supposed to hold the bottom jaw in place by riding in the recessed area on the underside of the jaw, but it's not working because when I get the spring compressed about 1/3 of the way the bottom jaw goes flying off. I've tried mounting the jaw in both directions(split end towards bottom end and spring and split end toward the top end of the spring), but this hasn't helped. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? I used this tool on the drivers side with success, but I can't seem to get it to work properly on the pass. side.