Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

How to install torsion bar keys?

Old 01-26-2005, 05:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question How to install torsion bar keys?

I want to level out my Tahoe, and I looked around the site and came to the general conclusion that keys are going to give me better ride quality than cranking down the torsion bars. But does anyone know how to install them or can point me to a site with pics or diagrams? Any insight or opinions would also be appreciated.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off new keys are no difference than cranking your bars, will give you the exact same ride.

Read this: http://homepage.mac.com/darketernal/TBT.html
Old 01-26-2005, 06:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dark Eternal
First off new keys are no difference than cranking your bars, will give you the exact same ride.

i thought you could get a max of maybe 1.5.......

But the ford keys you get 2.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, you'll get the extra height w/ keys, but the ride will be the same as cranking your bars (or worse if you crank the Ford keys too much).
Old 01-26-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...ad.php?t=65871

Everything you need to know and more.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Dark Eternal

Now normally I wouldn't disagree with you, because I've read you posts on Fullsizechevy and know you know what your talking about. So don't take this the wrong way.

Some truck may need the keys like mine did. When I got my truck my stock keys where already cranked all the way and the front still sat lower than the rear. I'd say it came from the factory like that.

So my only option was to get the Ford keys. After putting them in and cranking them up only 1/4 of the way I'll already gained about 2" in height. If I cranked these all the way up, I could seriously get about 4" total out of them.

And just the 2" of lift made my ride a little stiffer but definatly not rough.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zick
Now normally I wouldn't disagree with you, because I've read you posts on Fullsizechevy and know you know what your talking about. So don't take this the wrong way.

Some truck may need the keys like mine did. When I got my truck my stock keys where already cranked all the way and the front still sat lower than the rear. I'd say it came from the factory like that.

So my only option was to get the Ford keys. After putting them in and cranking them up only 1/4 of the way I'll already gained about 2" in height. If I cranked these all the way up, I could seriously get about 4" total out of them.

And just the 2" of lift made my ride a little stiffer but definatly not rough.
man your making me want them more and more..
Old 01-26-2005, 09:50 PM
Launching!

No difference in ride quality between the two.
Every truck is different, some come from the factory with more room for adjustment then others. I got an 1.25" from cranking(and still have room for more) which is just about what I was looking for. I actually like the ride after better then before. Firmed it up alot but not really to the point of being overly stiff, and a whole lot less body roll.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

The Ford keys just allow you to crank your bars more than the stock keys, ride is determined on how much pressure your bars have on them. I went straight to Ford keys on my '01, and gained about 1 3/4", I have room for a little more to go up, but the ride would be bone-shattering. My control arms are about 1/4" from being on the down travel stop and i'm sure my shocks are pretty much maxed out now. The thing about mine is, it sits level and is right at the limit to being as high as it can go. Every truck is different for sure! The ride is not bad now, actually handles in the curves a lot better.

GregM
Old 01-26-2005, 11:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question More questions

I am looking to level the truck out and I'm sticking with the stock tires for now. How many turns should I start out with, is it like 1/10" per turn or 1/2"? Also, will the bolt stop if it gets too tight, or can I unknowingly overtighten them? And, how long does it take for the front end to settle after adjustment? Thanks for all of the help so far, that just saved me $120 I was about to drop for the keys and labor!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to install torsion bar keys?