Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Here we go JakesPerformance 4l80E/Transbrake

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by foose04
Not going to happen. The old transmission had a short tail housing shaft, the new one is long shaft, so it doesn't load as far on the output shaft. No racing till next weekend now. Have to order the longer slip yoke and mod the DS again. Damnit.
Rob,
There shouldn't be any difference in the tailhousings/shafts.

There isn't a long or short tailhousing like a TH400/TH350 on a 4L80E. They are all the same.

There were some oddball shafts used on the motorhome 4L80E's that has a 1" longer output shaft, but these were never used with the conventional tailhousing OEM, only with the big drum brake tailhousing.

What's the problem exactly?

The core we sent has a fully splined shaft so you can get more yoke travel than a stock partially plined shaft, however what you had SHOULD work.

I'm curious so let me know.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like I got MotorHome operation. The current DS is cut so it Barely clears the rear to install. This is the numbers I got.

Current yoke has 3 3/8 spline area.
New trans Output Shaft extends 1/2 inch.
With Driveshaft Installed to wear line of old seal, it leave 1 3/8 remaining.
So that means I have 2.5inch of spine load.

My Current slip yoke is 5.5 inch from U-Joint center.
The Spicer Yoke is 8 Inch from U-Joint center.

So with that Yoke I would have 5inch load area.

New Trans:

Name:  f1b7192b.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  101.1 KB

Old Trans:

Name:  e6af5a49.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  103.8 KB

Current Yoke:

Name:  716255df.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  129.7 KB

Installed on your trans to wear line on yoke.

Name:  25c9a959.jpg
Views: 1523
Size:  106.8 KB

Awesomeness:

Also found out the output shaft has a lot of play on it. I'm worried if I don't get enough load on yours it could do the same? I want to say the trans always had a little play, but now it's very loose. Your unit is very tight.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by foose04; 05-11-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep,
You got a motorhome output shaft installed in a 2wd unit. Mismatched parts.

I built a unit once with one of those shafts and didn't realize it as about an inch longer until I was installing the tailhousing and saw the shaft hanging out the back like your lower pic.
Pretty much the last part of the process of building the unit and had to completely tear it back down to change out the shaft.
It appears some builders don't mind sending out mismatched junk.

Your long yoke may work fine with the new trans. How much spine engagement does it have when all installed?
Old 05-12-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have to order it, but it will have 5inch load area. Did you watch the video? It was the last image.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't realize it was a video.
That is very loose, either built with way excessive endplay or the result of some failure.
There will always be some play there, but on a TH400 or 4L80E, the rear endplay has a large affect on it.
A trans built with tight endplay specs will have less wobble, as you have seen.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man that sucks that you built your driveshaft according to a wrong output shaft
Old 05-12-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Foose dont feel bad i have had tranny built to stage 2, got my stock driveshaft cut down (Length was 1/2" to short) and builder wouldnt honor it 3 months later when i installed it, when i got it in the rear seal was leaking after it beat it up from being to short, took it to tranny guy to have it measured correctly and ordered a brand new spicer ds, then drove it to houston and beat the rear seal and rear bushing out 175 miles away from home (slip yoke was to long) ....This totally warped my new spicer slip yoke so i sent the driveshaft back off for the 3rd time... Got it all back again and had to cut 1 3/4" off my 2nd brand new spicer yoke to keep it from hitting the back of the tranny.... My tranny shaft also has some slack in it like yours and my guy told me it was normal..... This is very aggravating after 600$ worth of driveshaft, yokes, fluid and seals...... Any how sorry to botch your thread just thought that might make it a little easier on ya!
Old 05-12-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah it sucks when you try to do things right the first time and you still get the "joy" ride before it's all said and done. Hey Jake, I got my old transmission removed and noticed I don't have that green seal on input shaft going into the convertor. I looked inside it, didn't see it and to be honest I don't think I ever had one on there. Any thing to really worried about?

Found this on the counter today, glad my lady supports me. She's being giving me **** for a good bit now for owning a 11 second truck. lol

Name:  6ab477a5.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  67.9 KB
Old 05-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife could care less what I do with my truck, I kind of like it that way though
Old 05-13-2011, 12:17 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Originally Posted by foose04
Yeah it sucks when you try to do things right the first time and you still get the "joy" ride before it's all said and done. Hey Jake, I got my old transmission removed and noticed I don't have that green seal on input shaft going into the convertor. I looked inside it, didn't see it and to be honest I don't think I ever had one on there. Any thing to really worried about?
Did your last transmission have lockup? If not, that was probably why.

Quick Reply: Here we go JakesPerformance 4l80E/Transbrake