Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Gear pattern help from experts

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pattern looks good . What you are trying to get is what I call a ghost pattern . No hard lines top or bottom & heel to toe . The pattern smooths out in all directions and that is what you have . As for the clunking , yes you will get a noise changing directions with a dry gear . Nothing to worry about . Its taking up the slack of the back lash . Pre load is ok as well .

Looks like its time to button it up and call it a job well done .
Old 01-22-2017, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Bad news is I went to clean up the axle bearing area with some wet 2000 grit sandpaper and looks like one of the axles has a groove worn in it from the seal. The axle I bought had like 180k miles on it. Trying to decide whether to steal and axle from my trucks rear end, or junkyard, or buy aftermarket ones

I'm considering aftermarket because then I could get longer studs and use a 1/2" spacer to get the wheel and tire combo closer to the edge of the fender than factory, but that might be trying to do too much at one time
Old 01-22-2017, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aftermarket axles are not to expensive . An inexpensive axle would be better than an oem axle as far as strength . Adding a spacer would not be a problem to get your spacing like you want . Now the time to do it . Easier to press the studs in while the axles are out .

There is a repair sleeve to fix that groove but not a fan of it . Some has done it with good success .

Also if you are looking to strengthen the rear more I would consider a girdle cover . Help keep things from moving around an helps it cool better .

Isn't funny how thinks can snow ball .
Old 01-22-2017, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks for the input. I already have brand new bearings and seals so I wouldn't want to get that axle saver kit at this point. I do have the TA cover already, so check that box. I may as well just get some axles and call it a day. I've searched high and low for threads and most propose a question but never get answered. Yukon is available on summit but just under $200/ea without studs
Old 01-22-2017, 09:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I paid 370 plus shipping for custom axles for a 14 bolt SF from dutchman axles. I also recently got some chromoly axles for my JK and those were 235 each. So looks like what you saw is right in the ball park.