Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

front suspension rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts
Default front suspension rebuild

my 05 sierra has a 3/5 drop and 20" rims and i believe after 12 years the front suspension is shot. both front tires wore out on the inside and the ride felt bumpy even on a smooth surface. i got new tires and it still rides the same. I think everything is just worn out. anyone done this ? is there something i can get while I'm there that is better than oem stuff?
Old 07-26-2016, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by terravast4
my 05 sierra has a 3/5 drop and 20" rims and i believe after 12 years the front suspension is shot. both front tires wore out on the inside and the ride felt bumpy even on a smooth surface. i got new tires and it still rides the same. I think everything is just worn out. anyone done this ? is there something i can get while I'm there that is better than oem stuff?
So,

Stick with Moog parts. Get the upper/lower arms. It'll save you a ton of headache.

If you're sticking with the oem swaybar, get poly bushings for the mounts and endlinks.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

thank you. do i only need upper and lower control arms? I've seen 12 piece kits that have a bit more parts but i just don't know that much about the suspension parts to know what i need
Old 07-26-2016, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts

I recently did poly control arm bushings and Moog ball joints on mine while swapping to coilovers. The bushings are pretty simple if you have a butane or map gas torch but the ball joints are a PITA. That's what makes the complete control arm replacement desirable.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:26 AM
TECH Addict

thank you. do i only need upper and lower control arms? I've seen 12 piece kits that have a bit more parts but i just don't know that much about the suspension parts to know what i need
Those "kits" are more for OBS style trucks. If you have a rack/pinion, you need:

1. LCAs
2. UCAs
3. 2 - outer tie rod ends
4. End links (your choice on OEM or poly, poly does make a difference)
5. Sway bar mount bushings (under the core support)
6. 2 Wheel bearing assemblies (they are different for 16 and 17in wheels. I know you have 20s but what did your truck come with?)

That's the hardware. If you want to do the brakes while you have it apart, now would be a good time. Rotors, pads, calipers, lines, etc. is what you would need.

After having my front end drop changed out 2x now, it is MUCH easier to just get the LCAs with the ball joints/bushings already in and ready to go. You have to ask yourself, "how much is my time worth"? For me, it's worth just spending the $190 or so for the pair of LCAs rather than beat the balljoints out and have to fool with the bushings to.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

yep. i agree. moneys not really an issue. i just want to fix everything while i got it apart. prob need new shocks too. thanks for the help
Old 07-27-2016, 04:29 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Heres another list.

UCA
LCA >these two take care of balljoints & bushings
Inner tie rods
Outer tie rods
Sway bar endlinks
Sway bar bushings for the swaybar to frame mounts
Shocks, good ones, makes a world of difference
Wheel bearing assemblies if yours are bad or while your there lol

05+ trucks came with the 17" wheels front and drums out back which means you already have the larger brakes.

Moog usually has everything for these trucks front suspension wise and thats what i use on my trucks.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RS/SS 4.8
Heres another list.

UCA
LCA >these two take care of balljoints & bushings
Inner tie rods
Outer tie rods
Sway bar endlinks
Sway bar bushings for the swaybar to frame mounts
Shocks, good ones, makes a world of difference
Wheel bearing assemblies if yours are bad or while your there lol

05+ trucks came with the 17" wheels front and drums out back which means you already have the larger brakes.

Moog usually has everything for these trucks front suspension wise and thats what i use on my trucks.
thanks.. ill do all that . any ideas on a good replacement shock?
Old 07-28-2016, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

thanks.. ill do all that . any ideas on a good replacement shock?
If it's stock ride height, you can't beat Bilstein.

If it's dropped, look at Belltech Street.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I redid mine around tax time this year. I used Moog lower arms, dorman uppers, I think - rare parts? Tie rod ends and sway bar end links. And I used belltech Street Performance shocks. (I also cut half a coil off some lower mile springs at the same time) It was a night and day difference.

Quick Reply: front suspension rebuild