Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

eliminating certain check balls on the 4l60e transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 08:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default eliminating certain check ***** on the 4l60e transmission

hey guys, So I managed to finally get my hands on a donor trans for parts. and I was going over it and comparing it to my current trans.

from it looks like, I'll be eliminating the two check ***** housed inside the case and I'm considering removing the one inside the input shaft. from what I've been reading(and from what I understand) removing the one in the input shaft will speed up the engagement of the TCC(firmer engagement).

So, from what I can tell, and correct me if I'm wrong, by eliminating those three check *****, I should get a firmer low/reverse, 3-4?, and TCC engagement.

The forward check ball in my 99 trans was already eliminated by whoever rebuilt it the first time.

now the only thing I'm questioning is whether or not to do the aluminum accumulator pistons. I'm not really sure what it would bring to the table. other than a reduced risk or cracking.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't eliminate any check *****. You modify the hole feed size. Dont take the input shaft checkball out either. It will make it engage too harsh, it will lessen the longevity of the converter, or damage it, and put more strain on the input shaft. Either put a transgo valve in the VB or set the Converter on pressures to max.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:35 AM
Laid Back

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

X2 What megabuddys said. You could remove the checkball from the capsule for the low/reverse piston if you want. Leave the input shaft checkball alone and make sure the 3rd accumulator checkball capsule doesn't leak.

For an improved 3-4 shift, block the 4th accumulator feed hole in the case.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Everything you want is addressable in the tune. For firmer shifts, you need to adjust the line pressure a little and the force motor current table.

Quicker shifts are obtained via the shift time table.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:46 PM
Laid Back

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by madmann26
Everything you want is addressable in the tune. For firmer shifts, you need to adjust the line pressure a little and the force motor current table.

Quicker shifts are obtained via the shift time table.
I wouldn't say everything. There is definitely places to make hydraulic improvements inside the trans. And since he's already inside there rebuilding it, it doesn't make any sense not to.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z
I wouldn't say everything. There is definitely places to make hydraulic improvements inside the trans. And since he's already inside there rebuilding it, it doesn't make any sense not to.

Well... Minus the hydraulic improvements. I thought that was a given.

But line pressure, shift time, shift feel and tcc control is easily adjustable.