Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Deep Pan and Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deep Pan and Filter

Installed a deep pan into my Tahoe last night with the 4l60e. It comes with a filter extension and a bracket to help hold the filter in place. My question is I had bought the regular trans filter since I didn't read about the deep pan kind until this morning. Do I need to drop the pan and swap filters? I installed the extension onto the filter I bought and where the tube inserts it sits way lower than the other side of the filter. The opposite side of the filter is up close towards the valve body. Any ideas?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm guessing the pan you bought was an aftermarket pan. The stock "deep pan" needs a filter with a longer neck, but these pans are not as deep as the aftermarket deep pans with the spacer. The aftermarket pans need the short filter and the extension, not the "deep pan" filter. The filter needs to be sitting level in the bottom of the pan, not at an angle.

The factory deep pans did not become available until 1998 or 1999. Mine came factory with the deep pan. This pan used a specific filter for the deep pan with a longer neck. The deep pan filter was all plastic. The pan looked like this:

This is a factory 4L60-E shallow pan for OBS trucks: (The filters for these are metal on the bottom and have a short neck.)

This is a B&M cast deep pan. It comes with an extension and requires the standard short filter with the metal bottom: