Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Caltracs street vs track (Videos & Pictures)

Old 05-12-2016, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
in that case, my below quote is retarded...disregard.

loosen that preload and if it still hits too hard on the street, try the top hole on the axle side. don't be afraid to leave a small nickel sized gap on the spring. keep the shocks turned up firm for now. that's what I would do anyways.

calvert says that the top hole on the leaf spring eye hits harder than the lower holes. I've never confirmed it as right or wrong but they should know their product best. I know with my Silverado I tried my best to make the bar level...I've had more success with caltracs once I threw that idea out and just watched how the suspension responds and go from there.
Good point, i plan on going testing on the street these days, trying to get as many poniters together as possible, im gona look like the street outlaws making a test hit and get out of there before the cops arrive lol

I just wish there was a better way to see the results see what works and what not, like the 60 feet timer on the track, seems like on the street you try everything but when your done your more confused then before lol i guees its part of the game

Thank you for your help i´ll be back with results
Old 05-12-2016, 11:20 AM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

don't lose hair over it. I doubt anyone can get a 275 drag radial to dead hook on the street with real power. foot control goes a long ways on pavement. we're not street outlaws on 35" slicks.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
don't lose hair over it. I doubt anyone can get a 275 drag radial to dead hook on the street with real power. foot control goes a long ways on pavement. we're not street outlaws on 35" slicks.
I told that to myself when i went turbo and was ok with it till i dumped a lot of time and money on the suspension to find out traccion got worse then it used to be on the street thats where i freaked out again lol but i´ll figure it out to atleast have decent traction im sure
Old 05-13-2016, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Ive cut a 1.69 on drag radials in the top hole, and a 1.68 in the bottom hole leaving with out boost with loose converter. Now that ive cranked up the boost a bit, I went back to top hole and left on 8 psi with tighter converter and have gone 1.54 and a 1.56 but i was on slicks. Truck hooks decent on drag radials on the street, but will still blow them off if not careful.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would try getting up on the converter with 2 step, and have somebody adjust your bars so that they have that 1/8th gap at that point.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fastjweb
Ive cut a 1.69 on drag radials in the top hole, and a 1.68 in the bottom hole leaving with out boost with loose converter. Now that ive cranked up the boost a bit, I went back to top hole and left on 8 psi with tighter converter and have gone 1.54 and a 1.56 but i was on slicks. Truck hooks decent on drag radials on the street, but will still blow them off if not careful.
This confirms what txsilverado said, i gotta test and see what the truck likes, thank you for your info, made me think on options i hadnt read anywhere before
Old 05-13-2016, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fastjweb
one more thing what do u mean by "but will still blow them off if not careful"? controling your foot, leaving to hard or what exaclt do u mean?
Old 05-13-2016, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by walledition
one more thing what do u mean by "but will still blow them off if not careful"? controling your foot, leaving to hard or what exaclt do u mean?

Its a power issue really. When i was at 9lbs, I can leave hard from a light and be fine. At 15lbs, i can stand on it and as soon as boost comes in it will spin clear through second gear until i let out. 50 mph and below depending on surface and it will spin the drag radials. I too searched for the proper way of setting the caltracs up. When I would brake stall at the track, the whole *** end would lift up, at that point the caltracs couldnt doing anything on launch but prevent wheel hop, as soon a i let off the brake, it would roast the tires off. So I said screw it and left off idle and did the high 1.60's on radials. that was with a loose NA yank 3600. I then went a PTC tight 2600 converter, and that didnt give enough rpm to build boost on the brake anyways, and my best 60ft with that was a 1.75 leaving on 1lb of boost. Did the 4l80e swap, got a PTC converter speced for my set up, its 3500 converter, truck builds 7lbs on foot brake, and highest I left on with 2 step was 9lbs. 2 step set at 3500 rpm. Last time at the track I ran the M&H drag radials, bar in top hole, no pre load, tried to leave off 2 step and it blew the tires off, 2.1 60ft and ran 12.0 at 119. I didnt try to leave on less boost though, I said screw it, through the slicks on and went 11.1s all day. I will add that I dont warm up the drag radials for the street with a burnout, so that may affect street launch performance also. Best thing I found was on diesel forum, 2wd trucks running caltracs. They had mentioned to load the converter at which point you want to leave, and then set up caltracs, that way the truck actually lift on launch. I havent actually tried it yet, but I backed mine off the leaf 1 full turn. No preload
Old 05-13-2016, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This whole thread has been the story of my life lately. FML!
But thanks to TXsilverado for helping me so much!!
Old 10-25-2016, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was finally able to change the triangles and go to the track to test the truck
Best 60 feet was a 1.83 on a two step at 3000rpm and 5psi of boost at launch when on foot break my best 60 had been 1.89 and usually low to mid 90´s so im improving just not very much

This was the first time out being able to leave the line with my two step, everytime before i went up in smoke, went dead hooking 6 out of 7 runs this times

I have a video of the run where i smoke the tires where i tried leaving at 3200rpm wish made 6psi of boost and need to know what i can do to fix that, am i hitting the tire to hard? at first i tought maybe it spun only on one tire but the more i look at it it looks like the truck almost bounces in the air on the rear right when it losses traction(picture is taking out of the video where you can see the wrikles in the back tire)
slowmotion edited_zpsqsomnkyr.mp4 Video by greensss | Photobucket

Setup was:
12 psi in ET radials
both rancho 9000 shocks in position 5
traction bars both on the lowest hole and touching the springs then backed up 1.5 turns
front shocks cheap monroes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Caltracs street vs track (Videos & Pictures)