Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Best differential trutrac vs locker

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 12:24 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

If your making big power, I think you can just go ahead and buy the upgraded one right off the bat.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts

I have rebuilt my Eaton posi twice due to broken spider gears. First rebuild was just Yukon replacement spider gears as the stock carbon fiber clutches looked fine. This last time I used Eaton replacement gears and Eaton steel clutches (some of the cf clutches showing severe wear) along with 'tuning' it per the YouTube tutorial from Tom's Differentials. Even though not required after proper tuning, I did reinstall the springs for piece of mind. I am hoping now that the slack is out of the gears, they will last this go around. The metal clutches are more aggressive than cf but will also not wear as bad over time creating additional spider gear clearance. Parts for last rebuild were $320 so significantly less than a new unit and bearings.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

I like Lockers and run the Detroit full carrier replacement in everything.... my whole signature except for the Impala. I drive in lots of ice and snow.... northern Alberta qualifies as that lol. My daily driver is a rotten 2005 1500HD that sits on massive 245/75/16 All terrain tires ( sarcasm) and I enjoy the Detroit... and have for approaching 100000 miles of time now. The Eaton clutch pack is a nice unit too and does what you want... 2 tires in a straight line. I find the biasing torque style ( or Torsen) like the Trutrac good for a front diff haha..... and I have one in the front axle of my Jimmy. That or road racing... where they came from and sort of belong. As I said I drive in lots of slippery ice situations and those peg leg pretty easily.....

The Auburns.... yep.... easy to kill and non rebuildable... so paperweights haha. I murdered the one in my LT1 Caprice and then went Eaton clutch posi and had no further issues.

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 01-19-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:36 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My knock off tru trac (valuetrac) would do what blown06 described, until i flushed out the synthetic fluid and used mineral based oil in it without any friction modifiers. Two marks wherever i go and ive gotten the truck dow. To 1.58 60fts with this thing weighing in at 4905lbs.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:05 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
I like Lockers and run the Detroit full carrier replacement in everything.... my whole signature except for the Impala. I drive in lots of ice and snow.... northern Alberta qualifies as that lol. My daily driver is a rotten 2005 1500HD that sits on massive 245/75/16 All terrain tires ( sarcasm) and I enjoy the Detroit... and have for approaching 100000 miles of time now. The Eaton clutch pack is a nice unit too and does what you want... 2 tires in a straight line. I find the biasing torque style ( or Torsen) like the Trutrac good for a front diff haha..... and I have one in the front axle of my Jimmy. That or road racing... where they came from and sort of belong. As I said I drive in lots of slippery ice situations and those peg leg pretty easily.....

The Auburns.... yep.... easy to kill and non rebuildable... so paperweights haha. I murdered the one in my LT1 Caprice and then went Eaton clutch posi and had no further issues.
Very good points man. It's those points that us southerners don't ever have to consider so thanks for the post. I could see the clutch type eatons being a handful for having a dd during the winter/ice/snow months which we just don't have down here.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

There's a valuetrac????
Old 01-20-2017, 07:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

It's now called the TracRite and is $50 less than a TruTrac...which gives zero incentive to buy it. Trying to save on something at a cost of less than 10% of the total cost of the build is not worth it...IMO
Old 01-21-2017, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
Very good points man. It's those points that us southerners don't ever have to consider so thanks for the post. I could see the clutch type eatons being a handful for having a dd during the winter/ice/snow months which we just don't have down here.
I really liked my Eaton posi in the snow with the Caprice. I ran Goodyear Ultragrip tires on the back and it could push snow with the front bumper and keep going. On the higway it drove well... no different than the Auburn unit it had when it worked anyway. The Auburn was the oem in those cars anyhow.

On that topic I find the locker the opposite of what most guys think when it comes to icy situations on highways especially. Sure both tires are going to spin but I prefer that over the one tire fire a gov lock as an example will allow at highway speed. If one of my rear tires finds enough traction to grip I just motor along in a straight line.... A gov lock however will do nothing more than an open carrier and spin that path of least resistance and generally set the truck off balance. If it's icy to the point both tires will spin they both will fishtail.... just is what it is. I honestly prefer my 05's highway manners over any of the late model trucks I have driven on the same roads. It's not scary...... my 20 year old ( at the time) female apprentice got that old 05 as her first work truck with me in the dead of winter and loved it lol. I know..... I live against the grain apparently haha.

I will say the Detroit in my 14 bolt is a lot more agressive than the one in my 10 bolt in the Jimmy. I don't notice it at all in corners with the Jimmy but you will drag a tire under power with the old 1500HD. It doesn't bug me at all though the little that it does it and my tires wear normally... on my 4th set of rubber with the locker now.

The Eaton posi is a nice unit though too that a lot of people overlook all the time....

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 01-21-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

true trac hear without issues. Got it used off here 6 yrs ago and been beatin the crap out of it ever since. It gets the job done!!
Old 02-05-2017, 01:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm gonna be trying the truetrac. In the process of doing the 1320 brake conversion it was noticed that the gear inside my G80 had a bunch of teeth broken off inside of it. My G80 never stopped working but I figured it was just a matter of time.

Anyway I wasn't sure what the best LSD would be for my 9.5" 14 bolt. After calling several places that sell differentials the only LSD that I got any recommendations for was the truetrac. I hope it holds up.