Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Best differential trutrac vs locker

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 04:10 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I like my TruTrac but I'm just your average joe no big drag guy or racer.
Just daily it to and from, no thrilling stories from me.

Curious and hope this doesn't sound stupid but.
Can you really tell a difference between the two? How?
Old 01-14-2017, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to go with the tru trac. where ever I've read about it it been nothing but good reviews.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:44 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm not really a fan of the locker's either. I've had two in two different vehicles that were street cars. The noise and turning and burning rubber and **** was fine, but a few times at the track I experienced something really strange with both of them. The car would launch, get out there a little ways and start loosing traction (not enough that I had to lift) and the car would start drifting a little sideways. I'm not talking about instant tire smoke, just enough spin to stay in it. One a few occasions if the car pitch sideways a little bit, it would unlock, boil one tire and kick the car in one direction or the other and I'd then have to lift. Although I've never experienced that with a tru track, I've heard of others having that happen on the street or sometimes it would just randomly smoke one tire on a hard launch.

For the reasons posted above, if the car has to have a posi unit of some kind, it gets an Eaton (sometimes with the upgraded spring/clutch pack).

I almost always prefer a spool though, even in street cars. Anything that I race or hot rod never gets driven in the rain so no worries there. The only time I'd probably stay away from a spool on a street car was if I was on some really big rear tires and/or 33 spline or less axles. Spools on the street work....you just have to give it the respect the spool deserves. Don't drive the bitch downtown where you have to parallel park somewhere and it should be fine with strong axles.

Thats my 2 cents worth.......then again it may not even be worth 2 cents. Proceed at your own risk.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
I'm not really a fan of the locker's either. I've had two in two different vehicles that were street cars. The noise and turning and burning rubber and **** was fine, but a few times at the track I experienced something really strange with both of them. The car would launch, get out there a little ways and start loosing traction (not enough that I had to lift) and the car would start drifting a little sideways. I'm not talking about instant tire smoke, just enough spin to stay in it. One a few occasions if the car pitch sideways a little bit, it would unlock, boil one tire and kick the car in one direction or the other and I'd then have to lift. Although I've never experienced that with a tru track, I've heard of others having that happen on the street or sometimes it would just randomly smoke one tire on a hard launch.

For the reasons posted above, if the car has to have a posi unit of some kind, it gets an Eaton (sometimes with the upgraded spring/clutch pack).

I almost always prefer a spool though, even in street cars. Anything that I race or hot rod never gets driven in the rain so no worries there. The only time I'd probably stay away from a spool on a street car was if I was on some really big rear tires and/or 33 spline or less axles. Spools on the street work....you just have to give it the respect the spool deserves. Don't drive the bitch downtown where you have to parallel park somewhere and it should be fine with strong axles.

Thats my 2 cents worth.......then again it may not even be worth 2 cents. Proceed at your own risk.
I prefer anything torsen like for street usage. I've had both clutch based and torsen in personal sports cars and the torsen like diffs were the most controllable.

Apples to big ******* apples with sports cars to full sized trucks I know. Personally I'll be going eaton true track in my Yukon Denali. I don't do a ton of off road though.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Hmm I put a tru trac in a few trucks now and I like them, never had an issue yet.

I am curious to try the Auburn ECTED limited slip/electric locker differential.

Last edited by Three6GMC; 01-16-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:49 PM
8 Second Truck Club

I got nothing good to say about auburn either. It worked great on the street. 3 trips to the track on slicks and it was done. 4200lb truck with a 454.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh that's not good... just saw that they are non rebuildable? I don't want anything to do with them if that's the case.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Arent most eaton diffs also?

Are you running a corporate 14 bolt now? Us tbss guys run them in stock form up to 1k mark often, tranny lets go before my diff
Old 01-18-2017, 01:06 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Thats the fantastic thing about the Eatons. They are rebuildable! Other pro's that other designs don't have:

1. It's clamped all the time (no unexpected un locking)
2. Rebuild kits can be had with stronger springs and better clutch packs
3. No noise
4. They seem to be extremely durable and long lasting when using the Ford brand friction modifier.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What would a rebuild cost? seems like it would run you about the same as new unit.

I have an eaton in my tbss and guess the good thing its been trouble free for almost 100k with regular fluid changes. But I think that is because it has the right size rear end for the job of a truck with 700 ft lbs.