Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Anyone rebuild front diff?

Old 12-01-2015, 02:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Anyone rebuild front diff?

I had my 2000 Tahoe (GMT400 truck) up in the air and the driver's axle seal has seen better days, there is evidence of fluid leakage in the area. I push up on the axle (the flange where the CV bolts to) and I can literally push up on that flange at least a 1/4". Not good, and I'm positive this is the source of my clunk that I've been chasing for weeks.

What is involved in a complete 8.25 overhaul? Are the axle bearings something that need changing after 193,00 miles? What else should be replaced while I'm in there?
Old 12-01-2015, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This might help. I used this guide to rebuild mine in my gmt800.

Rebuilding A GM 8.25 IFS Differential **56K Beware! Pic Heavy** - Truck Forum - Truck Mod Central

The hard part for me was removing the large nut using cheater bar. Setting preload was also fun. Setting up the gear mesh took time as well.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Started the rebuild yet?
Old 12-02-2015, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tgui
Started the rebuild yet?
No, this Tahoe truck is my actual DD. I decided to have the local driveline shop tackle it since time = money. When the time comes to do my 05, I'll surely do it myself. And I am so close to firing the motor in my Silvy, need to concentrate on one project at a time.

Last edited by lxcoupe; 12-02-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lxcoupe
No, this Tahoe truck is my actual DD. I decided to have the local driveline shop tackle it since time = money. When the time comes to do my 05, I'll surely do it myself. And I am so close to firing the motor in my Silvy, need to concentrate on one project at a time.
Good idea. I hated it when my DD was also my project car. Talk about stress!
Old 12-03-2015, 12:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

The ifs front diffs are easy to rebuilt...... You could pull the driver side stub shaft out in the truck.... The passenger side you have to drop the diff for because of the washer at the end of the axle, i did my gear and bearings in about 3 hours in my 99..... What did they say was wrong with the axle???
Old 12-03-2015, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
The ifs front diffs are easy to rebuilt...... You could pull the driver side stub shaft out in the truck.... The passenger side you have to drop the diff for because of the washer at the end of the axle, i did my gear and bearings in about 3 hours in my 99..... What did they say was wrong with the axle???
Not sure as I'm bringing the truck in on the 10th, but with the truck up in the air I can easily lift up driver's side axle flange by hand, there is like 1/2" of slop in the axle bearing so at a minimum it's a completely destroyed axle bearing and seal. I have an absolutely awful clunk coming from the left front, but on the plus side I went and checked the Silverado and it had a bit more play than the passenger side, which was totally rigid. Are driver's side axle bearings a problem item on the GM 8.25 IFS?

Last edited by lxcoupe; 12-03-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Not typically, have done a few but the driver side is for most part straight into the carrier, usually get screwed up by people driving them in auto and the axle locking in on turns on dry pavement.... As a side note i am about to have to rebuild my front diff on my 08, had chance to get it in the air tonight, noticed when i turned the left axle you could hear almost like a popping noise, same when i turned the pinion, not as pronounced and nowhere near as much play from right axle shaft, i have been hearing a bearing howl occasionally since ive had it, got curious as to what it was thought maybe wheel bearing or something. i couldnt be that lucky..... Pinion and left carrier bearing are screaming in the air, locked it in 4wd on a straight stretch on way home and as soon as it engaged the howl turned into a grind...... FML!!!!
Old 12-03-2015, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Not typically, have done a few but the driver side is for most part straight into the carrier, usually get screwed up by people driving them in auto and the axle locking in on turns on dry pavement.... As a side note i am about to have to rebuild my front diff on my 08, had chance to get it in the air tonight, noticed when i turned the left axle you could hear almost like a popping noise, same when i turned the pinion, not as pronounced and nowhere near as much play from right axle shaft, i have been hearing a bearing howl occasionally since ive had it, got curious as to what it was thought maybe wheel bearing or something. i couldnt be that lucky..... Pinion and left carrier bearing are screaming in the air, locked it in 4wd on a straight stretch on way home and as soon as it engaged the howl turned into a grind...... FML!!!!
All this discussion of the 8.25 has me thinking, how many times has Atomic and other 4wd launch guys been inside their front diffs? I thought these things were pretty much bullitproof or is it simply a mileage thing? With all the soccer moms out there who have 4wd at the touch of a button, I'm surprised that a few dry pavement turns in 4wd would cause significant damage?
Old 12-03-2015, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lxcoupe
All this discussion of the 8.25 has me thinking, how many times has Atomic and other 4wd launch guys been inside their front diffs? I thought these things were pretty much bullitproof or is it simply a mileage thing? With all the soccer moms out there who have 4wd at the touch of a button, I'm surprised that a few dry pavement turns in 4wd would cause significant damage?
Soccer moms use auto mode which is OK on dry pavement. It's only halfway engaged. When vss see slip the clutches engage making 4wd happen. That won't happen when dry.

Maybe Atomic can chime in with his high powered launch experience.

Man, I'm eyeing a 9.25 swap since I really want limited slip up front. No such options for the 8.25 ifs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone rebuild front diff?