Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Acceleration Squeak - Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 05:15 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you put it up on stands and let it idle in gear to try to pinpoint where it's coming from? Assuming it squeaks that way too.
Carrier bearing would make sense.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could do that. If it has a chance to cool down(parked, sitting in traffic) it stops until I get back up to speed and it warms up.

Do the 10 bolts have the 8.5" or 8.6" ring gear?

And while I'm out searching and in case I can't find it, do I need a press like the Haynes manual says to get the carrier bearing off?
Old 03-02-2008, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

I got it up on jackstands today and let it idle. Couldn't hear a thing.

I set the parking brake about halfway, the left rear tire stopped and the right continued. Then I could hear the squeak. It was the loudest right in the middle of the front drive shaft.

Other than that, the only other noise I could distinguish was the rear pads hitting the rotors. Guess it's time to do those now.

I did get the gear oil and plugs changed today. Two of the KV85 magnecor wires were bad. One was rotten at the coil pack and the other separated on the plug. I wonder if they'll sell me just the two wires or am I going to have to keep the Xact fit wires on.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:28 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69Boss302
I set the parking brake about halfway, the left rear tire stopped and the right continued. Then I could hear the squeak. It was the loudest right in the middle of the front drive shaft.
Sounds like it could be the carrier bearing and the sound is just resonating thru the driveshaft to the middle. Can only hope.

Some things are just hard to find. My blazer would make a metal to metal squeak and it sounded like the Flexplate was vibrating and hitting part of the block. I put it up on stands and got under it while someone started it and couldn't see it hitting anywhere. Always annoyed the hell outta me that i couldn't figure it out. Pretty sure it was the Trans pump tho.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:41 AM
On The Tree

Do you know if a press is absolutely needed to get the support bearing on and off? I looked for a few hours yesterday trying to find the answer and got nothing.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Pulled the driveshaft out again today, replaced the front U-joint because that's where I heard the squeaking coming from. Got the old out, the new in and went to slide it back under the truck when I faintly heard the sqeak again. The middle U-joint had a dry cup. Nothing but powder and bearings in it.

Get it back in, trans is in neutral to help getting everything back in. Finally get it bolted back in all nice and snug, give it a spin and hear yet another squeak/squeal. Slide up underneath the trans, give it a turn and sure enough, it's a squeakin.

Dropped it off the jacks and went for a short drive and couldn't hear a thing and the trans fuild is still full and in good condition.

I wonder if now would be a good time to get the dud 06 trans rebuilt that I bought and installed and took out again when it blew after 4k miles and put it back in?
Old 04-26-2008, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

What did you find out? I'm having the same problem now after installing drop shackles and pinion shim. Is there suposed to be some play at the carrier bearing? Cuz there is on mine.