Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

8.25 IFS Locking tab question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 8.25 IFS Locking tab question?

I regeared my 8.25ifs with 4.56 gears a while back. It has been fine for a while but, I started having an issue and I was sure it was because I couldn't get a locking tab tight when I was locking in the adjuster, and sure enough my backlash was loose and the bearings were shot.

I bought new locking tabs and new bearings and here I am again. I have the spanner wrench and I have my backlash and gear pattern set perfect.

No matter what I try. I can not get the lock tab to fit tightly on the passenger side adjuster. I hammer it down and its loose as hell. You can just lift up and turn the adjuster. The driver side works perfect everytime.

Has nobody had this problem? Am i doing something wrong? Housing looks fine and so does the adjuster.

I just knocked out the adjuster and filled the area where the locking tab goes with JB weld and then pressed the adjuster back in. That is all I know to try. What do yall think?
Old 12-27-2016, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Something went wrong with the install if you can't bend the locking tab.