Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80e and converter, who to buy from....reviews..? thoughts..?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by darkirish63
You're going to spend more $ if you want piece of mind regardless of which converter / trans rebuild kit you use. I used a Jake's Stage III kit (since I'm 2wd) and a triple disc Circle D that Chris walked me through. Had my builder to the rebuild and haven't looked back since. Paid $350 for the donor 80e / around $1,200 each for the converter and the kit / $150 for the cross member / $200 for braided cooler lines and fittings / and $130 for a 30-spline slip yoke. So, yeah...it ain't always cheap but at least I have the confidence that I'm not going to tear this thing up any time soon.

The paying more parts fine, the more expensive stuff tho has less of a warranty for some reason. Plus every shop I call says something different. One is you need the biggest fanciest trans and converter but others no. I'm on the fence with what to buy. So far the best review so far was with flt.

The best deal tho so far with warranty and a 600hp rating was thru gearstar with the yank converter . The peace of mind and not being worried about it is the catch I guess.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone tried or heard of https://www.animalperformancetransmissions.com/
Old 03-15-2017, 07:04 PM
TECH Regular

I'll update this, since i though,reviewed and talked to quite a few people. The pics of the parts are in my thread in the projects section. I had a bunch of guys from here help me out. I bought a built 4l80e with a hardened imput shaft and a bunch of performance parts/mods. (more on that later)Also a precision industries vigilante 2600 triple disk converter. The transfercase also jumps out of gear and leaks so i bought a reman np241c case from transfercase express. Since all of that will be done i bought a new rear main cover and a new gm flexplate. Since the driveshaft is so long and steel i called around and ordered a 5 inch aluminum .125 wall driveshaft with 1410 joints. This shaft is the one that the diesel big power guys use. So with all that going on this should be pretty tough and a sound setup..
Old 04-13-2017, 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

The precision built trans works really good, shifts great and works flawless, you can really tell my stock 4l80 was slowly going out. Its a huge differance with the new setup, i'm rather impressed. With the mods that were done and a great builder that knows there transmissions really well was well worth it. Hands down i can't that these guys enough..!!. The precision industries converter with a 2600 stall works great too, it really helps transfer the power perfectly. Perfect combo for my truck, the converter helps a ton. Probably something i should of done before.
The following users liked this post:
Vortec350ss (04-13-2017)