Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L65E Trans Brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L65E Trans Brake

I did search this and came up with nothing. Googled it and it looks like there's a couple of mfgrs. out there who offer them.

I'm intrigued at the idea for my truck on the street and think it would be a worthwhile addition if not abused.

Does anyone have one that can speak to real world operation, manners and reliability on the street? I know you have to "brake it" in Drive and let the computer do the shifting, but that's about it.

V1
Old 04-25-2015, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Just do it the right way and do a 80e swap and get a jakes 80e with trans brake.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:55 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

So back to your question... I have not seen much real world use of them on this site, given that you may find more info on tech about it as it is more common for guys to do it on a car. I am kinda curious myself if anyone is running a brake on a 60e in a truck.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'll take a gander thru tech again. I know Rossler (sp?), offers one and its evolved over time into a pretty nice unit. All I know from sure, (their description), is when you leave on the brake, trans has to be in drive and you let the computer do the 1-2, 2-3, shift. Was more curious about any known side effects, drivability / street manners.

Opposed to the 4L80E swap as others have suggested as I'd hate to lose the 3.06:1 first gear in this heavy N/A truck, and because I've got nothing but all the best hard parts, improvements and tech performance updates built into this new trans. I'm certain it's up to reasonable street fighting.......

Not a drag truck by no means but I like the thought of coming out on the brake at 3500 or so with the Circle D, Tru-trac, 4.56's and 305/70/17's I'm running.

Should be enough to make the guy in the lane next to ya say damn..

Building the motor this week. The rest is done. I've got to read some more.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think a 60e with a trans brake would hold up fine in a car... But the weight of the truck combined with a set of slicks at the track could be pretty iffy. IMO I think the trans might hold up for a short while. The 80e would be a much better option. It would just suck if you have all that money in the trans and a $700 trans brake... To blow it up. I say sell the trans while it's still alive and put a mildly built 80e in it. Just makes since for return on investment.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:43 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
So back to your question... I have not seen much real world use of them on this site, given that you may find more info on tech about it as it is more common for guys to do it on a car. I am kinda curious myself if anyone is running a brake on a 60e in a truck.
Me, but my 60e is built bigger than prolly 99% and my truck is a lot lighter than a full size.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

What if you did a 2step with hydro boost? Since sounds like more of a DD.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gao8302
What if you did a 2step with hydro boost? Since sounds like more of a DD.
I have a complete Hydro-boost system here I'm gonna install while the motor work is being done out of convenience and accessibility. I'm completely not understanding the "2 step" application you're referring to. Want to know more about your thoughts on this.

While admittedly the truck is heavy, (ECSB 4x4), the trans is built to be bomb proof on the street with street tires. I know it's been said before... and the 80E is the shizzle, however I'm gonna stick with all the good upgrades and precautionary measures taken to help it lead a reasonably long trouble free life life.

I'm 55, retired aviation and FAA credentialed professional mechanic / air safety inspector who knows how to perfect and take care of all things mechanical.

Not saying I'm special by no means, just that I'm confident that I've got a bullet proof set-up for a street application.

2 step application/explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2015, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I take it the transmission has already been built. A trans break will require the transmission to be taken apart to be installed. A two step is just plug and play. most people use a MSD 2 step. It lets you control the launch by maintaining a given rpm. You are limited with rpm on the vehicle to the amount of brakes you have. So basically you can hold a given rpm till the tires start to spin.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

I had t brake in my 4l60 converted to 4l70 it was fully built from billet and harden input and output the rest off the stuff and held up pretty good it also had the 6 pinion planeteries and changed my first and second gear ratio from 3.06 to 2.84 first and 1.63 to 1.55 second gear it was behind a forged ls2 h/c/i built for nitrous never sprayed it but ran 12.3 on my 08 rcsb tranny was awesome i did spend around 3k

Quick Reply: 4L65E Trans Brake